Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Please help with my Pops uniform

Article about: Hi everyone. I have since looked into and solved all the history of my mum’s dad (Pop) (Aussie ) side. Now its time to suss out my Dads dad on the Italian side. For many years all i have kno

In January 1942 the Pasubio division has helped German troops fighting in Izium area, where it fend off a heavy Soviet attack near village of Novaya Orlovka. By July 1942, Pasubio division was fighting near town of Krasnyi Luch. In August, it reached Don River (Russia), where the right flank of Pasubio Division was heavily attacked by Soviet forces 20 August 1942. Attack was repelled in few days, and position warfare was established until 11 December 1942, when Soviets attacked again with large amount of tanks. 16 December 1942 the Pasubio Division has counterattacked and returned to initial position. But by that time general front-line collapse was already underway. Nearby 52nd Motorised Division Torino and 2nd Mountain Infantry Division Sforzesca has failed to maintain their positions, therefore Pasubio Division was forced to retreat to avoid encirclement. After few days of retreat, Pasubio Division was no longer able to maintain front-line, instead covering only roads. 25 December 1942 rearguard of 600 men was surrounded in village of Krasnoyarovka in Rostov Oblast and annihilated by 28 December 1942. Main body of Pasubio division has barricaded in the northern part of Chertkovo village together with shattered remnants of various German units, and repelled several attacks starting from 23 December 1942. Grueling march to first avoid, and then to break the encirclement, has continued. 15 January 1943 the fight to break through the Soviet lines has started. Finally, 2000 men remained of Pasubio division have broken the encirclement 17 January 1943 near town of Belovodsk, Luhansk oblast.

- - ------- - -

8th Pasubio Artillery Regiment

1st Artillery Group with 100/17 Field Cannons
    2nd Artillery Group with 75/27 Field Cannons
    3rd Artillery Group with 75/27 Field Cannons
    85th Anti-Aircraft Battery with 20mm Anti-Aircraft Guns
    309th Anti-Aircraft Battery with 20mm Anti-Aircraft Guns

Wow thank you all so very much. Very intresting! This has fueled my desire to find out more of his story that i was never told

?

Always when i read storys of relatives of the combatants from ww2 i feel sorry for them. I dont care what nationality they were or what obscure political view they were forced or volunteered to fight for.

I only wish the Gulag was given as much attention as the Holocaust. That would maybe stop some of the moron youngsters i sometimes see running around with che guevara t-shirts.
    Collect ROA, Cossack, Schuma and other WW2 Volunteer militaria.

"Be Humble and kind, for you may find that it was Odin you entertained"

Hi marc; probably he fought in Russia during the harsh winter 42/43, but was lucky enough to get back in Italy after the big retreat (100.000 were not so lucky). So he correctly recalled the endless march, in the snow and ice, often with temperature of 40* below the zero, but the march was westbound, away from Russia. I guess that because the other story: the Germans abandoned the Sicily in August 1943, while the few Italians survivors of soviet gulags came back in the 50's.
    Here is a pic of the "Retreat of Russia", how it is sadily known in Italy.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  33.2 KB

Thankyou so much for these links. I just bought the book last night. I will give it to my family to ready after me

Quote by ziomanno View Post
    Hi marc; probably he fought in Russia during the harsh winter 42/43, but was lucky enough to get back in Italy after the big retreat (100.000 were not so lucky). So he correctly recalled the endless march, in the snow and ice, often with temperature of 40* below the zero, but the march was westbound, away from Russia. I guess that because the other story: the Germans abandoned the Sicily in August 1943, while the few Italians survivors of soviet gulags came back in the 50's.
    Here is a pic of the "Retreat of Russia", how it is sadily known in Italy.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  33.2 KB
    Thankyou for this picture and i was just told by my uncle ( the oldest son now 65) that my pop lost his brother who went to the same area. So much i never knew and thankyou all for all this info. Gives me a even greater appreciation for my grandfather. What a fighter

Quote by tailor marc View Post
    Thankyou for this picture and i was just told by my uncle ( the oldest son now 65) that my pop lost his brother who went to the same area. So much i never knew and thankyou all for all this info. Gives me a even greater appreciation for my grandfather. What a fighter
    You're welcome!
    In the same period, my mom's dad was in Sicily, as fire control director of a 90 mm AA guns battery, held by a "black shirts" unit near Palermo.
    How many war stories, when I was child: I regret so much that I didn't record his memories...

Well i bought the book " a few returned" Gee what a story. I wish my pop was still here today. I had no idea what he went though

As i may have mentioned in this thread, my pop lost his brother on the front. My mum & Dad are in Sicily right now and asked the family more about the history of my pop and his brother.
    Family over there showed this to my dad. A certificate and a medal of some sort
    Im just wondering if anyone can translate this ??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3457.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	895505

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast