Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Restoring this M33's Paint?

Article about: I've had this one for a little while now. It's a WW2 (someone on here suggested it may even be pre ww2) produced lid - but has undergone 2 subsequent paintjobs. The Postwar olive green and t

?

Default Restoring this M33's Paint?

I've had this one for a little while now. It's a WW2 (someone on here suggested it may even be pre ww2) produced lid - but has undergone 2 subsequent paintjobs. The Postwar olive green and then what looks to be someones (frustrating but probably well intended) attempt at restoring it to a more 'appropriate' color. I've been wondering if it is possible or even logical to try and strip off the top layer or even the postwar layer without damaging the original paint.

It'd be awesome to get a bit of true color out of this lid.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoring this M33's Paint?   Restoring this M33's Paint?  

Restoring this M33's Paint?   Restoring this M33's Paint?  

Hi Fin MC,
    I think it is a helmet produced before of the war, perhaps between 1933 and 1936, because the air vents seem to be of the first type (rounded and with two internal flaps), it would be important to check if actually there are the two metal flaps folded inside.
    If this is the case and this theory is confirmed, the other point that would be useful to give it a proper dating is to verify the color of inside paint: all originally painted with a semi gloss light green, then repainted in matt dark-green in 1940 year; while those used in the Spanish War were painted in semi-gloss kakhi-green.
    That being said, if the paint underneath is in good condition, is worth trying to remove the first layer of paint, in my opinion.

Regards
    Roberto

?

It seems to have the two metal prongs bent inside like you suggested, I can definitely see a layer of paint that looks to be the one under postwar olive green, you can see it in these photos.

Also would these white spots on the top layer be some sort of chemical reaction from this newer paint? Mold or something maybe.

What would be the process for removing the top layers of paint without damaging the paint underneath?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Restoring this M33's Paint?   Restoring this M33's Paint?  

Restoring this M33's Paint?   Restoring this M33's Paint?  

Hi,
    you did well to add new photos, now I have a clearer idea about it.
    The confirmation of the two metal prongs is a good thing; this confirms that this is an early production helmet of the mid 30's, probably the batch number imprinted on the back flap begins with the "P" letter.
    The first type air vents turned out to be defective because with the use they loosened, they were replaced with the following six or eight prongs.
    The color you define the post-war olive-green, was used by Italian Army since the late 50's and at that time the first type rivets and the two parallel liner seams had disappeared, so hard that they were present on the same helmet, besides the repainted seems to be very old.
    At this point the idea that comes to me is that it might be a helmet used during the Spanish War:
    The underlying color that appears to be Italian postwar, could be the kakhi-green semilucid with which the M33 were repainted from the Spanish Army after the War.
    The repaint made at exterior reminds me a lot of what used by some Spanish Army specialties, such as air force, I saw a similar color on some Spanish M33 or M42, look at these links:
    M33 guerra di Spagna

The M33 used during the Spanish War were all part of the first productions as your example.
    It also turns out that a few years ago, a significant part of these Spanish M33 came on the market.
    Obviously, it's very difficult to say this watching photos, but you can further deepen this search, but before removing the paint it's worth thinking about it for a moment, because if what i think is true I would leave it like that.
    If you really want to remove the paint, I suggest doing the following:
    Apply the liquid to remove paint on small areas, do not let it work too much, and just the first layer begins to lift, scrape off with a scraper of soft material to avoid scratching the underlying layer (wood or plastic).
    Finish a piece wash away and repeat on other areas.

Regards
    Roberto

?

So what you're saying is that the top coat of paint may actually have been done by the Spanish army after the war? Instead of being from a collector, the only thing that would make me think other wise are the paint splashes on the chinstrap which seem like a 'sloppy' job. But if what you say is true, it would seem that removing the top layer would actually take away from the value and history of this lid

Yes, I think this might have been done by the Spanish Army, it's not a rare thing that this kind of intervention was done in a very coarse way; for example, I have seen many Italian Army M33 helmets of WW2 period, repainted at level of military Unit in the 50's, where the original gray-green color was hastily repainted in kakhi color, covering completely also the leather chinstrap!
    Also because if he had made a collector in the intent of giving him more value, he would do a more accurate work, in my opinion.
    I agree with you, if the hypothesis was correct it would be better not to touch it.

Regards

?

Well If that is the case - then I am absolutely fine with it! It is interesting to think of what a long life time this lid might of had, I wouldn't want to take away from that history

Thanks for your help on this one

- Findlay

IMO that outer paint seems the same applied post war, to some helmets, by Italian Navy; lacking the yellow anchor, in this case. Usually the Spanish paint is way more darker, brownish in tone.
    Attached Images Attached Images Restoring this M33's Paint? 

?

That is a very similar shade, if not the same. Maybe the lid did end up staying true to its beginnings after all! It's already well beaten out any other lid I have in terms of potential service life