Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Three Italian M33 helmets. Which is the best?

Article about: Hello all! I was able to pick nab two M33 helmets as payback for a favor. With these, I will have 3 M33s in my collection. I have two buddies who I would like to give helmets to in order to

Default Three Italian M33 helmets. Which is the best?

Hello all!

I was able to pick nab two M33 helmets as payback for a favor. With these, I will have 3 M33s in my collection. I have two buddies who I would like to give helmets to in order to jump-start their collections/ use as teaching aids in the classroom (we're all fellow high school history teachers). It may be a little selfish... but I want to keep the best of the three for myself. What do you guys think?

Both of the two "new" helmets seem to have paint jobs close to WW2 gray/green. Judging by the wear on the paint, and the more worn in look of their leather liners, they both seem to have seen action at some point. Obviously they both have post war cloth chin straps.

Helmet 1:
    This one is the biggest of the three, a size 57. I don't how I feel about the glob of dried paint sitting there...

Only down side is that one side of the chinstrap seems to have broken off and was tied back on.

This is the only noticeable marking. Sorry for the blurry shot, it says SS24

Helmet 2:
    It's a size 56. This one has the best condition paint job of the three in my opinion.

Only visible mark is MM 54? I can't even make out the number under the paint to be honest.

Helmet 3:
    Finally, here is the original M33 I have in my collection. It's a size 56. Something about the paint doesn't seem right to me... the color is a little funky (more crab apple green instead of gray/green) and it seems to have been painted over with yellow at some point. Finally, the leather liner seems 100% unissued or reproduction. (I have posted this helmet on this message board before.)

Back air vent seems off center.

Brand new liner.

MM 119 stamping

So what do you guys think? Which of the three would you keep? None of them have any sentimental value to me... so I'll keep the best of the three.

Default Re: Three Italian M33 helmets. Which is the best?

Anyone? Advice would be greatly appreciated!

?

Hi Giz , sorry i know nothing about these , but i would keep no. 2
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Ciao Giz, All these helmets are post ww2. Are you interested in ww2 helmets or are you collecting post ww2? post ww2 helmets are not very hot in the collector market and you can pick up a mint condition helmet for around $20. An original ww2 m33 will range anywhere from $40-$1000. Obviously condition and rarety of the helmet is the key to the price. Cheers! Marino

Ciao Marino,

I am collecting WW2 helmets, but I have been having difficulty locating a war-time M.33 in the U.S. for a reasonable price.

I figured until then, I might as well restore one of these three. In fact, I've gotten rid of the 2nd and 3rd helmets. I gave them away to fellow high school history teachers who plan on starting collections/ using them as teaching aids.

I decided to I kept the first one because it is slightly larger. Beyond that, I plan to repaint it and replace the post war cloth strap with a reproduction grigioverde leather chin strap.

By any chance do you know where I can purchase a porta penna (feather holder) to restore this helmet as an Alpini? THANKS!

?

Ciao GIZ, I would look on e-bay for a porta penne. Cheers! Marino