Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Unknown Skull

Article about: Any ideas on what this skull may be ? It looks similar to some Italian or Spanish skulls I've seen but I've found no images to support that. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks, Al.

?

One of the skulls arrived today and I immediately concluded it is a poorly cast fake. Although fairly convincing from the original photo's it's flaws were revealed with the use of macro photography. The outer surface is riddled with pock marks and bumps of leftover residue from the mold. I highlighted some of the more obvious flaws. The rear is not consistent with the front as the metal looks brand new. The strategically placed verdigris is actually painted on with two colors, the green you see and and touches of a copper color. The brush strokes are most evident on the rear of the badge. I've already arranged to return it with no issues so at least it serves as a learning tool. I assume the other one yet to arrive is also fake so I'll post it in detail here as well. After all these years I'm still making rookie mistakes and being guided by emotions when buying something i really want.

Cheers, Al

Unknown Skull

Unknown Skull

Unknown SkullUnknown Skull

JMM
    ?

Damn. It looked ok from the pics…
    I'm very sorry Al, hope all turns out well with the item return / refund

?

No worries JMM, I would have bought it anyway if I had found it in a search. These type of items really need closeup scrutiny in hand to know for sure. I often gamble with smaller priced items hoping they'll pan out when I inspect them. I've made some really great discoveries that way. I was skeptical of the patina, it looked artificial but took a gamble anyway. Seller has offered me a full refund so there is no loss. thanks for looking out, Al.

You've turned a mistake into a learning opportunity, and others will learn from you post. So well done.

?

The second skull arrived today and i must say that upon first visual inspection it is very convincing as an original piece. The piece however betrays itself again with the obvious attempt to artificially age with fake verdigris painted on. The rear of the badge is most obvious which clearly shows brushstrokes. The other give away is the weight and thickness of the material despite it being a nicely stamped badge, not a cast. You can see below the comparison pictures of the edges with the original badges I previously posted. The fake Brunswick badges being peddled everywhere also exhibit this flaw of thickness and weight.
    Too bad, they would have looked nice with my other badges. One group picture before they go back. Hopefully I'll be able to fill the gaps with real versions in the future.

Cheers, Al

Unknown Skull

COMPARE FAKE ON LEFT VS REAL ON RIGHT

Unknown Skull

?

I picked up a pair of Italian skulls to replace the fake ones I returned. The larger size skull is a Black brigade badge and the small one is an Arditi type badge. They go well with my small Italian collection and a few odd Spanish items that don't fit in my riker mounts.

Unknown Skull

Unknown Skull

?

Default Brigata Nera skull

I picked up another variation Italian cap skull badge as used by the Black Brigade. This one is pretty flimsy and can be easily bent with your hands. It has less detail than some of the others in my collection but fits in well in the display case.

Unknown Skull

Unknown Skull

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3