Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 Era Italian MVSN knife

Article about: I have a vet bring back WW2 Era Italian MVSN knife. Any help to identify exactly what I have, is appreciated . The knife and the scabbard appears to be steel with a black wood handle with fi

?

Default WW2 Era Italian MVSN knife

I have a vet bring back WW2 Era Italian MVSN knife. Any help to identify exactly what I have, is appreciated . The knife and the scabbard appears to be steel with a black wood handle with finger grooves. There are no other marks, stamps , numbers or maker marks on this sturdy crudely built knife. The steel on both blade, hilt and scabbard seems very shiny, almost chrome plated. The knife is not very sharp.
    I have heard that it seems to be a service knife, a parade knife, a black shirt knife, a youth knife and a boot knife.
    Any thoughts about this knife is appreciated. Are these knives normally like this. It is the first time I have seen one of these. Thanks.

WW2 Era Italian MVSN  knifeWW2 Era Italian MVSN  knifeWW2 Era Italian MVSN  knife

Hi; you have a model 35 fighting knife, also known as "Marcia" (march) fighting knife, issued to the fascist Militia ranks from '36 onward. Usually these knives have a brown wooden handle and a black painted scabbard (troops issue). The ones issued to officers have instead a black wooden handle (ebony) and often a motto acid etched on the blade. The way more scarce, the "Moschettieri del Duce" model, has a nickel plated scabbard and a Mussolini's dedication etched on the blade. By the pics provided it seems a legit one but I feel it has been chromed at some point (the blade shouldn't be chromed). Also: there should be 2 flat rivets on handle, left in white.

?

WW2 Era Italian MVSN  knifeWW2 Era Italian MVSN  knifeVery interesting. Thank you for your knowledge. Yes. I agree. It seems to be chrome plated at some point. But the handle appears to be ebony and there are 2 flat rivets in the handle.

Mmmm... I would say that the handle and rivets have been painted/stained with some stuff. I also noticed that the sheat has the short belt hanger, which was intended for troops. The officer's sheat has a wide hanger, because the larger belt.

?

Would this knife usually have a manufacturer stamp on the blade. ? I don’t see any signs of any stamp , engraving, etching etc. on the blade , handle or sheath. Could it be late war? Taken over by German and built late war?

This is the way these knives were produced: devoided of any stamps, with the aforementioned exception of engraved motto's in some models. And actually this is a pre-war knife, produced from '35/'36 and discontinued around '38. Yours is an early model, having the MVSN logo on the scabbard. Of course, they were carried throughout the WWII also, among the WWI war trophy Austrian sturmmesser and the succeeding fighting knife, the M 39.
    Last edited by ziomanno; 08-24-2019 at 10:00 AM.

?

Nice knife. Here is a pic of my E.M. and Officer knives. The belt loop on the Officers knife can be opened and the grip is ebony wood. Rich A. in Pa.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 Era Italian MVSN  knife  
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.