Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

4ft X 6ft Japanese flag

Article about: This is a 4ft X 6ft Japanese flag, this one doesn't have the rising sun. What does that determine or mean? This is a a vet bring-back, not on my person yet.

?

Default 4ft X 6ft Japanese flag

This is a 4ft X 6ft Japanese flag, this one doesn't have the rising sun. What does that determine or mean? This is a a vet bring-back, not on my person yet.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4ft X 6ft Japanese flag   4ft X 6ft Japanese flag  

MAP
    ?

I know Nick Komiya has written extensively about this. I looked very quickly for the thread in the sticky section but didn't find it. Take a further look or hopefully someone can point it out
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It is, basically, simply "a flag of Japan"-the same one that flies still today. Without markings or iron clad provenance, there really is very little one can do to determine an exact date.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Seems like I recall you can help date these by the corner reinforcements where the flag would attach to the hanging apparatus. I can't remember the details though, or if that applies to all flags, or any ... memory is cloudy on this point. Ring a bell to anyone?

It is an issue size national flag that would have been used by the army and navy. Official flags came in 3 sizes and this was the smallest size flown on rainy days, half the size of the largest one for national holidays.

However, if this flag is the same as what is flown today, then it is a fake, because Japan's national flag was changed in 1999. The current flag is actually a flag that the Imperial Japanese Navy had introduced in 1870 before being switched to the rising sun flag in 1889.

Nonetheless it is true that a WW2 national flag would have been the same as flags up until 1999, so you need solid provenance and a black light test to be sure it is a WW2 piece.

If you want to know further read this The Banner of Golden Brocade

Once again, don't buy such things for investment. If you want to collect, decide what you like and thoroughly inform yourself before taking a step. Don't try to start with so-called vet bringback bargains. A solid original from a reputable source is always the best to start out and get a feel for what is good.

?

I recieved this with another prayer flag as a group from same vet... better pics.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 4ft X 6ft Japanese flag   4ft X 6ft Japanese flag  

4ft X 6ft Japanese flag   4ft X 6ft Japanese flag  

?

No issue with the black light... and thanks for the info.