MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Admiral/Prime Minister of Japan Information on Authentication

Article about: I purchased this from an individual who bought it at an Auction House in Japan. Before I purchased it I did as much research as I could. The Admiral's hat and hat box is sign Kantaro SuzujiT

?

Default Admiral/Prime Minister of Japan Information on Authentication

I purchased this from an individual who bought it at an Auction House in Japan. Before I purchased it I did as much research as I could. The Admiral's hat and hat box is sign Kantaro SuzujiT. My research shows that there was only one Admiral in the all of the Imperial Japanese Navy Admirals in the Japanese Navy with the name Kantaro SuzukiT. That information can be found here, List of Imperial Japanese Navy admirals - Wikipedia. The history of Kantaro SuzukiT can be found here, Kantarō Suzuki - Wikipedia. There is no documentation showing that this Admiral's hat and hat box. The only evidence I have is the name in the hat and the name on the box. I was told that I should post this information here and members would comment on the authentication.
    Admiral/Prime Minister of Japan Information on AuthenticationAdmiral/Prime Minister of Japan Information on AuthenticationAdmiral/Prime Minister of Japan Information on AuthenticationAdmiral/Prime Minister of Japan Information on Authentication

I can post more images if needed. All comments are welcome.
    Dwight Brown
    kaydee
    Last edited by kaydee; 06-01-2019 at 02:42 AM. Reason: images

Both the hat and hatbox read 鈴木 — Suzuki.

— Guy

MAP
    ?

Welcome Dwight.

Would you happen to have complete photos of the visor? That would help.

I'm sure our members who focus on Japanese militaria will be able to provide some guidance.

I would guess it will be very difficult to conclusively tie this to the Suzuki without some for of provenance or documentation beyond just the name but hopefully there will be enough circumstantial evidence to make an informed judgment call.

P.S. I could swear I saw your Avatar name on another forum. Was it GHW?

P.P.S : Well I see that Guy has already confirmed the name. I was multi-tasking and took too long to type.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Welcome Dwight.

Would you happen to have complete photos of the visor? That would help.

I'm sure our members who focus on Japanese militaria will be able to provide some guidance.

I would guess it will be very difficult to conclusively tie this to the Suzuki without some for of provenance or documentation beyond just the name but hopefully there will be enough circumstantial evidence to make an informed judgment call.

P.S. I could swear I saw your Avatar name on another forum. Was it GHW?

P.P.S : Well I see that Guy has already confirmed the name. I was multi-tasking and took too long to type.
    I think Guy has confirmed the last name

Guy is there kanji for the first name visible too?

?

Thanks for the reply. I have posted more images of the visor.
    I belong to a lot of other forums. That is how I learn. I research everything I purchase.
    Dwight

Quote by Long Shot View Post
    I think Guy has confirmed the last name

Guy is there kanji for the first name visible too?
    No, just the family name 鈴木.

— Guy

?

That's an officer's cap & would be used by all ranks. Could of been quite a few "officer's" with that name & not necessarily an admiral

MAP
    ?

Jareth,

I would ask. What era is this cap from? Or was this style used in the early part of the century as well?

Admiral Suzuki retired from the IJN in 1929
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Unfortunately, Suzuki is one of the most common family names in Japan, a counterpart of Smith or Jones, and you only have the initial "K" on the box lid, as an additional clue. Again, there are 100s of first names starting with K. So that is unfortunately one hat out of a haystack of "K. Suzuki" officer hats.