Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Ammunition pouch - marked

Article about: Picked this up not so long ago - liked the condition of it! Can anyone make out the kanji? Cheers, Tony

Default Ammunition pouch - marked

Picked this up not so long ago - liked the condition of it! Can anyone make out the kanji?
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Ammunition pouch - markedAmmunition pouch - markedAmmunition pouch - markedAmmunition pouch - marked

The marking is too indistinct to read clearly, but I am certain it says Takasago (高砂), one of the 3 Tokyo companies that made the rubberized front pouches for the Type 38. Besides Tokyo, there was a company in Yokohama and another in Kobe, so 5 in all, but the outline of the marking can only be that of the name of Takasago. Their normal product was rubber tire tubes for bicycles. Shown below is a page from the substitute materials listing of 1941. They made 60,000 pcs of those in 1941. After the war, they moved out of Tokyo from that address in the list.

If you like to collect such pouches, be sure to read this https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japan...1945-a-604720/
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ammunition pouch - marked  

Hi Nick,
    Thanks very much, interesting and informative. I assumed it was a soldier's name, but wondered at the 'professional' nature of the 'stamping'. Also now see that there is a box around the kanji, thought their shape was unusual!
    Cheers,
    Tony

Why they tend to harden, you can read here The Evolution of the Japanese Army Gas Mask (1918-1945) under the title "1938 February ---- Domestic Production of Chemical Anti-aging Solution for Gas Mask Rubber"

Tony, I like the front pouch. Nice pick up.

Nick, thanks for the link. Great info.
    John

My brother visiting me from Japan pointed out that the marking looked more like the property stamp from the stage prop company Takatsu (高津), which I now agree with, though the second character is still illegible.

I originally thought I had been looking at the marking on the underside of the lid, and was impressed that your example was still supple enough to have a opening lid flap. But now I realize that it is on the rear of the pouch, which is not where manufacturer marks are supposed to go. In that position, it is indeed more likely to be 高津 than 高砂.

Takatsu used to be a good source for original equipment in the early days of collecting as they sold off old props in the 70s. They are still in business today and you can rent almost any kind of historical prop or costume for the stage or film. Here's their site showing some of the items they have for rental. https://www.takatsu-web.co.jp/produc...1%93%E5%85%B7/

Hi Nick,
    Thanks for the update. I got it from an old guy selling off bits of a long term collection, so perhaps he got it direct from them!
    I have picked up few bits recently am keen to run them through the forum! Am awaiting to get my laptop back online as easier to post from that than this tablet.
    Cheers,
    Tony