Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise

Article about: Good afternoon gents Seeing as there is a wealth of knowledge from people who actually know, I thought I would post the last one that I have, for some opinions on date etc: I bought this a c

Default Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise

Good afternoon gents
    Seeing as there is a wealth of knowledge from people who actually know, I thought I would post the last one that I have, for some opinions on date etc:

I bought this a couple of weeks ago, as an "untouched" sword. Looking at it you could say with certainty that it has been un-loved.

The wooden scabbard has split on the top with a piece missing, there is no "plug" and the blade is shorter than the scabbard by some 7 inches!! So is it a cut down Samurai or a Wakizashi- or a Katana- or a pile of poo

The Habaki is somewhat more ornate than I have seen before ( admittedly that's nothing to go by) The Tsuba is not plain, but not ornate, the blade is signed, but is in need of a polish by a professional - not me!........ I believe the date of the blade to be the mid 1500's, I have been trying to learn but it is a painful process, and I've probably got that wrong.

So any help would be much appreciated by yours truly. This time I have tried to take the "correct" photos - full length blade - collar-tsuba- handle- signature-

Well at least it keeps you lot on the ball
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise   Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise  

Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise   Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise  

Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise   Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise  

A couple more shots
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise   Another Japanese Wakizashi/ Samurai sword- last one- I promise  

John-
    The signature is Echizen no Kuni ju Kanehiro(Kanehiro, living in the province of Echizen). He is listed as being most productive during the Bunroku period which lasted from 1592-1596. The habaki is partial chrysanthimum . The tsuba is an unusual shape.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob, as always, your finger is on the pulse. I'm quite pleased as I got the date "nearly" right. It is a cut down? and if the Tsuba is a strange shape - what does that mean - good or bad - BTW I should be seeing Peter at the weekend
    Last edited by John Brandon; 07-06-2016 at 04:38 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Quote by John Brandon View Post
    Thanks Bob, as always, your finger is on the pulse. I'm quite pleased as I got the date "nearly" right. It is a cut down? and if the Tsuba is a strange shape - what does that mean - good or bad - BTW I should be seeing Peter at the weekend
    John-
    The blade is not cut down and is intact as made. As to the tsuba, unusual shape is neither good nor bad.
    Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by BOB COLEMAN; 07-07-2016 at 12:43 AM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

The split scabbard in an indication of being the blade being put into a scabbard that wasn't made for it. That is obvious from the blade being shorter than the saya.
    Each sword has a different curve to it from the tempering process. Scabbards are made for individual blades.
    Last edited by SteveR; 07-07-2016 at 12:31 AM.

looks like you caught a bug John.

?

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    looks like you caught a bug John.
    It sure does look like he is on a roll!!!!

That is a cool looking Habaki on that one.

Semper Fi
    Phil