Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Another purchase opportunity

Article about: Hello all, Sorry for the second post this week on Japanese swords... but an acquaintance of mine is slowly selling off his Japanese sword collection and this one is the next to go. I know it

Default Another purchase opportunity

Hello all,

Sorry for the second post this week on Japanese swords... but an acquaintance of mine is slowly selling off his Japanese sword collection and this one is the next to go.

I know it’s a WW2 Japanese naval sword. 22 1/2” Stainless blade (Maker/polisher signatures), rayskin saya, and lacquered handle. I’m gonna take a look at it sometime next week. It looks to be in pretty good condition.

I have a dilemma... the wife has given me the go ahead to purchase one of the few rifles left of my WW2 rifle collection (M1 carbine). This sword is right around the same price of what I’m looking at with the carbine. I know this isn’t a forum to give values but... this sword or the carbine... hmmmmmmmm

The seller told me that this is one of his more unique swords so I’m curious...

Thanks for any guidance..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another purchase opportunity   Another purchase opportunity  

Another purchase opportunity   Another purchase opportunity  

Another purchase opportunity  

謹作高山刀
    Kinsaku Takayama-tō
    Respectfully made Takayama Sword

Kinsaku can mean: respectfully made; humbly made; reverently made.

刀匠 石原正直
    Tōshō Ishihara Masanao
    Swordsmith Ishihara Masanao

研師亀山実一
    Tōgi-shi Kameyama Jitsu'ichi
    Polisher Kameyama Jitsu'ichi

Same smith & polisher here

Called a "Takayama Sword" because they were "engineered" by Takayama Masakichi who wanted them made of rust-resistant steel. Takayama was an IJN civil servant with a grade equivalent of either colonel or general (I don't know if his rank has been confirmed). He was a fencing master who went to China to test cutting techniques on Chinese POWs. Depending on the source, he killed either a dozen or dozens; for this he was declared a Class 3 war criminal.

More about Takayama here.

Another purchase opportunityAnother purchase opportunityAnother purchase opportunity

-- Guy

Thanks guy... I think you’re spot on with what the seller told me as well. Forgot to add the last photo he gave me. Are these swords any more valuable that any other sword form ww2? Price point is high... just wondering...

Seller told me that Takayama forge was an old prison in Hida/Hittorei Provence. Apparently, these swords were easily identified by the tip/shape of the blade. Each part is assembly marked E-1022.

Thanks all the info I have.

Thanks again,
    D
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another purchase opportunity  

It accidentally posted twice..sorry
    Last edited by 26Intrepid; 06-22-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Quote by 26Intrepid View Post
    It accidentally posted twice..sorry
    Bad boy! Place your self in "time out" and sit in the corner for an hour. Then tell me why you had to sit in the corner.

Bad boy!

Seller told me that Takayama forge was an old prison in Hida/Hittorei Provence. Apparently, these swords were easily identified by the tip/shape of the blade.
    Hi D,

I do not believe the "Takayama Prison Forge" thesis that was suggested in the past. The swords are rust-resistant steel and made to the specifications of Takayama Masakichi.

There was speculation in the past about it being a prison, but that thesis has never been proven to my knowledge.

-- Guy

Hi Guy,

Ya I’ve been reading on a few forums about the same thing... at this point there’s nothing to back it up. I’ve also read that these appear to be quality blades... I wonder how many of these were made by this smith. I wonder if they ever kept records... as did many gun manufacturers.

Considering the purchase... there’s a couple options but this one has caught my attention and also trying to OK it with the boss!

Thanks for the info,
    D

...I’ve also read that these appear to be quality blades... I wonder how many of these were made by this smith. I wonder if they ever kept records... as did many gun manufacturers.
    D,

Just bear in mind this is a stainless-steel blade. You could never send it to Japan for a polish or new furniture. First off, once it got in-country it would be rejected by the police and returned (if sent by post). If you hand-carry it you'll have to get it evaluated (usually at a high school location); once they judge it to be stainless, you'll have to turn it over to the police; the police might arrange for you to receive it once you clear customs on your return trip (this happened to me); or, they might confiscate the blade and break it up.

Same would happen to a gunto made of regular steel -- whether or not it passes the evaluation will depend on the smith and what (if any) stamps are on it.

The blade and fittings look cool; I just want you to be aware of what you're getting. Takayama Swords have a neat history that I find interesting simply because my teacher met Takayama and they discussed cutting techniques while Takayama was still "in the hills."

-- Guy

- - ------- - -

I think I'll make a new post about Takayama Masakichi.

-- Guy

Thanks for the info Guy.

If I purchase this sword, it will never leave my home. I would purely buy the sword for an investment. I think the sword is unusual as well with the fittings and the shark skin saya. Takayama himself has an interesting past. Would like to read your post about him.

I found out already that polishing a sword isn’t cheap either... the sword blade that I currently have is in bad shape. I’ve inquired on a couple polishers here in the US that have come highly recommend. I would love to restore the blade back to the way it looked back in the day... it’s an early Edo period blade. Maybe one day?

I will keep you posted if this sale happens with Takayama sword.

D

...Takayama himself has an interesting past. Would like to read your post about him....
    For future reference, the article is here.