MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Another Yosegaki Hinomaru for the collection?

Article about: Hello everyone, I hope you have all been well and enjoying your parts of the world as we enter into the cold months in the Midwestern USA. My finds have been scarce lately and I haven't been

Default Another Yosegaki Hinomaru for the collection?

Hello everyone,

I hope you have all been well and enjoying your parts of the world as we enter into the cold months in the Midwestern USA. My finds have been scarce lately and I haven't been able to do much looking. I have however come across this interesting example. The seller is asking $45.00. I will be headed in that direction for an appointment tomorrow and am pondering whether an hour's addition to my journey might be worth it for a genuine item. I appreciate any wisdom and guidance you may share.

In the meantime warm wishes to all, happy collecting, preserving and enjoying the fascinating artifacts we are so drawn to. Another Yosegaki Hinomaru for the collection?

Is that the GI's name on the bottom left edge? It is a flag initiated by the Chief of the Hongo Tokyo Metropolitan Police and Fire brigade, Kaoru Yoshi-Ike and presented to a Kitaro Kobayashi. So Kobayashi must have been a policeman or firefighter that got drafted. It is an authentic piece, easily worth the $45.

Nick,

That is indeed the name of the GI. I don't know too much about him aside from the fact the flag ended up in a pile of estate clear-out in Warren, Michigan. I drove quite a distance to pick this one up off 8 Mile Road in Detroit. I picked this up today from a fellow who has been a salvager/artist for many years. From what I gather, the family threw everything of the Veteran's to the curb after he or his next of kin passed. This included a plethora of silk souvenir pillowcases, various 1945 souvenir Hinomaru flags and some components of his dress uniform. The man I purchased the flag from had plucked it from a pile of the deceased vet's effects on the curb. I paid the full $45, sight unseen save for the single photograph I shared with everyone. No measurements, nada. Some time ago I purchased another Yosegaki Hinomaru which measured about 28' by 30'. This one measures a lovely 32' by 42'. I could not believe how big it was, as my hand is roughly the size of some of the characters. The hinomaru component itself is massive, much larger in proportion to my other flag.

I'll have some decent photographs up tomorrow. There are three holes that I counted, the edges of which are frayed. I'm unsure if these were battle damage or simply munched on by a rodent. There are also some stains which presumably given the nature of these artifacts might be blood, however they aren't too large.

I really appreciate your wisdom and guidance on this flag Nick. Warm wishes to you and yours and thank you again for sharing your wisdom and giving this piece back its name.

Here is a nice photo from this afternoon. It is a lovely flag!

Another Yosegaki Hinomaru for the collection?