Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2

Article about: Hi Guys, Further to the instructions given, please find some new pics of Sword 2. Please note, No flash, Tip up x 2 and Tip down x 2. Hope I've got it right this time!!! LOL Cheers Michael R

Default An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2

Hi All, This is Number 2 Sword. At the risk of being boring, I have simply copied the original request and detail from the first thread in order to keep it simple (for me). This sword is very similar to number 1 but minus the knot and leather scabbard sleave. Thank you in advance for any advise given.

with thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

"Hi, Many years ago, I took an interest in Japanese swords as I liked the style and general look of them. Unfortunately, my interest did not get as far as the accademics of the subject so my knowledge is sadly poor. I am now asking for any information that anyone out there my be able to advise me of please. Your opinions and possible valuation would be greatly appreciated. The first item is an Imperial Army mounted sword with a Company Officer's rank knot. The mounts appear to be standard Army pattern."

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 2

Please note, I have used chalk to try and improve the visibility of the tang characters but am happy tp re photograph them if necessary!

?

Michael when it comes to Japanese swords the sword guys like them photographed with the tip of the sword point to the floor its easier to read the tang .. Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Michael when it comes to Japanese swords the sword guys like them photographed with the tip of the sword point to the floor its easier to read the tang .. Gary
    Nice try, Gary. Actually, we prefer just the opposite: sword tip towards the ceiling, tang toward the bottom. In other words: tip faces north, tang faces south (north is always topmost on the map).

Thanks!!

--Guy

It's hard to clearly see, but looks like

兼則
    Kanenori

昭和十年十月
    Shouwa 10-nen 10-gatsu
    1935, October

Further to my explanation about signature orientation, if you take the photos as they show on the forum, rotate the image 90 degrees to the left.

Cheers!
    --Guy

?

Michael , i think i can just see a Nagoya arsenal stamp on the tang !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hi Gary, Thank you for the tip! Sorry, pardon the pun. I will comply on all further photos.
    Cheers MR

Hi Guy, Thank you for the tip! Sorry, pardon the pun. I will comply on all further photos. Come on Gents have a bit of patience with me I am old!! And you are confusing me. Whats it to be Tip up or Tip down. Or should I do a bit of both? Please don't say east or west!!
    Cheers MR

?

Quote by Michael Ryan View Post
    Hi Guy, Thank you for the tip! Sorry, pardon the pun. I will comply on all further photos. Come on Gents have a bit of patience with me I am old!! And you are confusing me. Whats it to be Tip up or Tip down. Or should I do a bit of both? Please don't say east or west!!
    Cheers MR
    Ha ha , tip up to the sky please Michael and photos of tang straight on without flash if possible !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Hi Again Guy, Who is the little dog?? I lost my little girl dog some time back and I still miss her! Back to Japanese swords. Thank you for the information on both the tank and orientation. Am I correct in assuming that Oct 38 is the date of manufacture and that, as an arsenal weapon, it is of military issue and probably of inferior quality?? Also, what is the meaning or significance of the other characters? I realy am that unknowledgeable on Japanese swords. Honest!!!
    Thasnk you again Michael R

Ye!!! Alan I am starting to get the message. With most swords it is tip down so you can see the langet or quillon block and tip up to read the manufacturere's logo etc. I am learning new tricks every day on this forum -- Not bad for an old dog!! Thank you also for the arsenal info.
    Regards Michael R

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast