Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3

Article about: Hi All, This is Number 3 Sword. At the risk of being boring, I have simply copied the original request and detail from the first thread in order to keep it simple (for me). This sword is ver

Default An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3

Hi All, This is Number 3 Sword. At the risk of being boring, I have simply copied the original request and detail from the first thread in order to keep it simple (for me). This sword is very similar to number 1 but minus the knot. Thank you in advance for any advise given.

With thanks, regards and best wishes Michael R

"Hi, Many years ago, I took an interest in Japanese swords as I liked the style and general look of them. Unfortunately, my interest did not get as far as the accademics of the subject so my knowledge is sadly poor. I am now asking for any information that anyone out there my be able to advise me of please. Your opinions and possible valuation would be greatly appreciated. The first item is an Imperial Army mounted sword with a Company Officer's rank knot. The mounts appear to be standard Army pattern."

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3

Hello Michael,
    Firstly, I would like to wish you a belated Happy Birthday!
    Secondly, I have never seen such an extensive collection of swords in one place before! Thank you for posting your collection for all of us to admire!
    I am sure that Guy or Alan will be along shortly to help you with this one.
    Regards,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Can we see this without the copper habaki? This is unusual in that the writing is in katakana. What I can see from the habaki down is:

...フマラン [...fumaran] ????
    ...ヤワ [...yawa katana/tō]?

That last one, , looks like a kanji for sword.

An Appraisal on Some Japanese Swords Please Sword Number 3

Hmmmm.... maybe it's
    ブラマン
    Buraman

or

プラマン
    Puraman

Anyway, I need a peek at what's under the habaki.

--Guy

Hi Ralph, Thank you for your very kind and generous comments. As long as people are interested and I have swords and other bits tgo show, I will continue. So please keep watching and feel free to make whatever comments you feel apply, positive or indeed negative.
    All the best to you over there in sunny Canada. I had a friend based at Cold Lake many years ago.

?

Red flags on this one for me.

May we see good photos of the tsuka (handle) please?

Nakago (tang), tsuba, seppa, habaki all appear to be lacking in detail etc. Perhaps theatre made? Why two holes? Reproduction?

Thomas (gunto) ... your thoughts?

Regards,
    Stu

Hi Stu, Once again, thank you for your message. Oh dear, have I picked up a pig in a poke?? I seem to recall some time in the dim, dark distant past, someone telling me that the two tang holes were probably due to the blade length being altered in its past and they had affected the positioning of the hilt fittings??? Another suggestion was that the blade had been furnished with a civilian style hilt and that to accommodate the military hilt, a second hole had been inserted??? Both explanations sound plausable to me but I speak in ignorance of facts and practices of the time. So Stu/Anybody please feel free to list any other explanation you feel appropriate. Repro?? Possibly but it does not feel wrong and looks the age??? Basically, I have no real idea, so over to you. I will dig the sword out and take some more pics.

Cheers Michael R

Your blade was fitted with two mekugi which explains the whole closer to the end of the tang. A sword would never have been made with only one whole so close to the end as it would cause great pressure on the pin causing it to eventually fail. At one point, if an enemy had access to a samurai's katana, they would remove the mekugi which would cause the handle to become lose in a fight. Therefore, some samurai added a second mekugi to their blade for security purposes, Often, the handle would be wrapped over the second pin to conceal it.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

After looking at the nakago picture blown up, I have some question about this possibly being a fake. A sword maker's signature should always be below the mekugi ana, not above as found on this piece. The kanji that are visible do not make any sense. finally, a serial numbered habaki is a common sign of a Chinese fake. Someone has also gone wild stamping every loose piece with a serial number, which does not make sense. The tsuba varies from the standard military pattern. The sword tang lacks the refinement found in the shape and finishing of a true Japanese katana. I have some question as to the originality of this sword.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hi Bob, Thank you for your exaustive explanation regarding this sword. I am aware that the Chiese, bless them, are turning out all sorts of WWII crap both German and Japanese. However, I was under the impression that this was a relatvely recent inovation. This particular sword has been with me for circa 30 years but that in its self is no guarantee I accept. I have just taken some more photos which I am about to upload so please feel free to examine them and I would appreciate any or all opinions.
    Cheers once again Michael R

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast