Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Arisaka bayonets

Article about: Hi folks, Picked up two Japanese bayonets - one with a frog. The one with the curved quillon appears to be earlier and the other a later model. I'm new to Japanese collecting and would kindl

Default Arisaka bayonets

Hi folks, Picked up two Japanese bayonets - one with a frog. The one with the curved quillon appears to be earlier and the other a later model. I'm new to Japanese collecting and would kindly accept any comments on these examples. I paid $140 for the older and $125 for the later model with frog. I'm guessing the price for the older one was a little high and older example was in the bargain area. Neil H.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arisaka bayonets   Arisaka bayonets  

Arisaka bayonets  

Default Re: Arisaka bayonets

Correction - paid $140 for the EARLY model and $125 for the LATER model with frog.

The price on Type 30 bayonets can be high depending on what arsenal they were made at and of course the condtion.Also, you can use the serial #'s to find a date range for production of the piece.There were many variations that can also affect the value.Personally, I have never paid over $100 for one and even then, I think it may have been priced too high.Typically I think reenactors are getting decent ones around the $60-$85 range but, you know, it always seems that folks are of varying opinions on value. But, don't fret because it looks like you paid that price because the one came with an original bayonet frog!Ifthat's the case then you made out good.
    Also,if you can show the arsenal markings in a closeup photo we may be able to find out where they were made.
    Eric

Eric, I have seen original bayonets in the $80 range but they tend to be really beat. I'm new to Japanese collecting so I plan to attend the MAJC (Mid-Atlantic Japanese Collectors) show October 16th in PA. The Type 30 with the straight quillon and blued scabbard is from Toyoda/Nagoya Arsenal. The other Type 30 with curved quillon and black painted scabbard is from National Denki/Kokura Arsenal. I'm told the black painted example may be Naval. I think $125 for a bayonet and leather frog is quite reasonable. I may have overpaid for the Kokura example but considering it is in close to mint condition perhaps not. I'm hoping the MAJC folks will provide some feedback.

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    Eric, I have seen original bayonets in the $80 range but they tend to be really beat. I'm new to Japanese collecting so I plan to attend the MAJC (Mid-Atlantic Japanese Collectors) show October 16th in PA. The Type 30 with the straight quillon and blued scabbard is from Toyoda/Nagoya Arsenal. The other Type 30 with curved quillon and black painted scabbard is from National Denki/Kokura Arsenal. I'm told the black painted example may be Naval. I think $125 for a bayonet and leather frog is quite reasonable. I may have overpaid for the Kokura example but considering it is in close to mint condition perhaps not. I'm hoping the MAJC folks will provide some feedback.
    really not bad the handles look pretty good, don't know what kind of wood they used for handles, but it *****, they are either eaten up by something , or just a good scrape & pieces just splinter off. almost everyone on fleabay goes around 200.00 if they are in good shape.

Well alright! It sounds all good to me either way.
    Eric

You did pretty well. In good condition with a desirable maker, frog etc...I have seen them go for 200 or 250 dollars. Yours looks pretty nice.

?

I agree. I have seen these go for well over $200. But like combat bayos, some makers are more desirable to some collectors and value can be based upon that alone. But either way I dont think you overpaid at all. Its always sweet to find any type of bayonet with original frog/scab, nice picks!

the prices are going up, you cant get a Japanese bayonet for less than $100 at gun shows anymore

the most Ive ever paid was $65, but mine were all bought several years ago.