Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Army Officers Sword signed opinions needed

Article about: Hi All, I am looking to acquire my first Japanese Sword and would like to know if this one is a good honest example, I am new to the study of this style and it is a minefield out there but I

Default Army Officers Sword signed opinions needed

Hi All,
    I am looking to acquire my first Japanese Sword and would like to know if this one is a good honest example, I am new to the study of this style and it is a minefield out there but I have a good feeling about this one, no real flaws besided the leather scabbard holder being broken, thoughts? Thank you!
    Army Officers Sword signed opinions neededArmy Officers Sword signed opinions neededArmy Officers Sword signed opinions neededArmy Officers Sword signed opinions neededArmy Officers Sword signed opinions needed

Default Genuine WWII-era Gunto

[] 永田祐則
    [Seki] Nagata Sukenori

His civilian name: Nagata Eiichi (永田栄一), born August 28th 1910,

Another of his:

--Guy

Thank you Guy it will be an honor to own one of his blades I feel this is a good sword to own for my first, am I correct in assuming this was made between 39 and 45?

Maximus,

The blade is undated, but certainly no later than 1945 and no earlier than 1939. I cannot find much about Sukenori other than what I've already copied above -- and in Markus Sesno's book he adds, "...worked as a gunto smith..." or words to that effect [I could only find it online in German].

--Guy

?

Looking at the nakago I see the Seki stamp, so it will not be traditionally made from tamahagane, but nothing wrong with that. For more on Shin Gunto I recommend Ohmura's Gunto site. He actually regards the modern steel blades as being better swords. Military Swords of Imperial Japan (GuntM)
    Dave

?

Looks like a nice Showato example in Type 98 configuration for Army officers. The tassel looks to be blue and brown. If so then it's a Company Officer level and suitable for that sword.

Have a look here for more info on how the terms Showato and Gendaito are used.

JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS

Regards,
    Stu

?

Just checking ... any kanji on the other side of the nakago (tang)? That's were the date would be?

Regards,
    Stu

HI Stu, I do not have it in hand yet, most likely this weekend, seller states it is not dated and I do not plan on taking it apart once I get it, with my luck I would not be able to put it back together and it would become a parts sword haha

?

Your choice of course but if you change your mind we can walk you through it. It's one of those tasks that appears daunting before you do the first one and quite simple all the times that follow.

Regards,
    Stu

It might be undated based on the other one I found above -- same smith, no date:

--Guy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast