Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Army Proficiency Badges - cast???

Article about: These groups of badges are up on Ebay and I was wondering if these were ever manufactured by casting? It seems some of these badged show casting shrinkage on the backside. Are these good or

Default Army Proficiency Badges - cast???

Kind of a Nick question here - this group of badges are up on Ebay and I was wondering if these were ever manufactured by casting? It seems some of these badged show casting shrinkage on the backside (click to expand photos).

Are these good or aged up fakes?

Ps they are coming out of Russia

?

Your Russian seller bought them from a Japanese dealer, I saw this group offered for sale previously outside of eBay.

I would also be wary of Japanese badges not die struck, but these proficiency badges were not all minted by the government, but mostly by private shops, so I cannot proclaim all cast ones as automatically bad. The regs also do not specify manufacturing technique. However, what was strictly controlled by the government was the type of metals the medal/trophy shops had access to, not to jeopardize war supply. Therefore material was Cupro-nickel or Aluminum. Zinc, the caster's favorite was not used. Common sense tells me that a medal shop casting these could never compete with shops that stamped them, but desperation in war can make sense out of nonsense, so we cannot totally eliminate wriggle room for fakers to come in.

On the other hand, there are currently people in Russia and China that cast fake medals out of originals. The Chinese guy will send you a photo of my medal collection used for the articles here and tell you he can supply you with replicas of any that are 100% identical to the real thing.

Whether the examples you show are cast or pressed is not that obvious to me, so I'll leave that to you to judge, but you will have to draw your own comfort line as with many aspects of collecting.

Do you think the boxes look like ones that are authentic? Pre-WWII Kanji usage as well? Just looking at all relative data

The boxes look old and use old kanji; they read from right to left:

1. 砲兵照準徽章
    Hōhei Shōjun kishō
    Artillery Gunsight/Aim/Alignment Badge

2. 砲兵観測徽章
    Hōhei Kansoku Kishō
    Artillery Observer Badge

3. 砲兵馬術徽章
    Hōhei Bajutsu Kishō
    Artillery Horsemanship Badge

4. 砲兵通信徽章
    Hōhei Tsūshin kishō
    Artillery Tele-Communications Badge

You need to swap the horse badge with the crossed telephones for your badges to match up with your boxes.

I couldn't read box #3, but deduced that is the box based on the Japanese auction site images.

-- Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Army Proficiency Badges - cast???   Army Proficiency Badges - cast???  

Thanks Guy!