Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Authentic Japanese Sword?

Article about: Hello I would really like some insight on to weather this Japanese sword is authentic or not. I believe this type of sword is called a wakizashi. It appears to be old and well made. If this

?

Default Authentic Japanese Sword?

Hello
    I would really like some insight on to weather this Japanese sword is authentic or not. I believe this type of sword is called a wakizashi. It appears to be old and well made. If this sword is authentic what year does it date from? I will really appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Authentic Japanese Sword?   Authentic Japanese Sword?  

Authentic Japanese Sword?   Authentic Japanese Sword?  

?

Default Re: Authentic Japanese Sword?

Im no authority on Samurai swords but the blade looks like its made from a softer metal than the hardened steel normally associated with an original, plus it also looks as if its been chromed and the chrome is reacting and bubbling from the surface, i would wait for more comments, but personally i dont like it

?

Are those grinding marks on the tip ... ?

I agree. Monkey metal with some kind of electroplated coating. No genuine hamon visible (the wave pattern from the tempering process and folding the steel over and over)

?

Hamon is from where the sword was packed in clay and heat treated.

?

Right- that bubbling coating- chrome plate?- is a dead-giveaway that the sword isn't real; the badly cast tsuba (guard), one-piece Habaki (the brass bit at the guard end of the blade- should be two pieces) and really obvious deformations on the edge where the 'sword' struck something (hardened steel chips, so that isn't hardened steel) are too. Sorry- bad reproduction/fake.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Hi Camry , could you post some pics of the tang please .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Thanks for replies, I do not know how to disasemble the sword, so I would not be able to take a picture of the tang. What year does this sword date from?

?

There would be two wood pins in the handle that you can see through the wrapping- knock those out and the handle will slide off. And being a reproduction/fake it doesn't date to any particular year; I had one in highschool back in the late 80s and doubtless they've been making them longer than that, but there's no way to tell- it doesn't make any difference though since reproductions/fakes don't have any intrinsic value.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

This sword is a genuine blade that has been very poorly treated. As previously mentioned, someone has evidently tried to plate the blade with something to make it shiny(they failed). The kissaki or tip has been badly broken loosing the temper in the point or boshi. The low quality cast tsuba, which is period, and lower quality menuki under the handle wrap indicate that this was not a highly regarded blade before the damage was done. It is impossible to date the blade due to the condition it is presently in. The damage makes this piece basically worthless as the fittings have little value.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast