Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Binocular and Case Help Please

Article about: I have the opportunity to buy these for \\$225. Seems like a good buy if all correct. Outside of my knowledge base so looking for some help on these. The case looks like it is lacking the leat

Default Binocular and Case Help Please

I have the opportunity to buy these for $225. Seems like a good buy if all correct. Outside of my knowledge base so looking for some help on these. The case looks like it is lacking the leather tab covering the springs. The case dose look period correct, late war, from what I have been able to find. I thought there should be more markings on the binoculars from others that I have researched. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    John

Binocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help PleaseBinocular and Case Help Please

RMD
    ?

Probably of no help, but my uncle had a pair exactly like these ones, they were from early 60's. Minus the case and neck strap. I remember using them at the park all of the time.

... Wish I could be of more help.

Good luck.

Here I explained the "Private" marking also on those binos

This was officially called Type 89 binos, introduced in 1929 and the logo is an old Nikon logo. Strap is marked 1939, and the case is in a leather substitute used at least since March 1938. As I always say, use of Ersatz material began in 1937/38, so they are almost never late war items, but actually pre-war.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 05-17-2019 at 11:19 AM.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Here I explained the "Private" marking also on those binos

This was officially called Type 89 binos, introduced in 1929 and the logo is an old Nikon logo. Strap is marked 1939, and the case is in a leather substitute used at least since March 1938. As I always say, use of Ersatz material began in 1937/38, so they are almost never late war items, but actually pre-war.
    Thank you Nick, I appreciate the info. I was not ale to the exact model from searching. The private purchase information was also helpful. I did not apply the same theory to binoculars.
    John

I was able to find a couple more examples which created more confusion for me with the post war binocular industry. Would I be correct stating these are wartime production made by Suzuko? Pricing is all of the board on these and many for sale are not wartime production from the info I have been able to find.
    John

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    ...Would I be correct stating these are wartime production made by Suzuko?
    John
    In your enthusiasm I think you missed this part of Nick's post #3:
    Quote by Nick's Post #3
    "...
    This was officially called Type 89 binos, introduced in 1929 and the logo is an old Nikon logo...."

You are correct since I was also looking at an old post with wartime and post war binocular markings. I saw the same marking in that post Thank you.

This was the comment and pic from the old post.
    Japanese WWII binoculars

Now that I read up further on Suzuko binoculars, even the one I showed above seems to be a postwar model as Suzuko's wartime logo was supposed to be the one shown below.

John

I believe the logo is actually that of a wartime Nikko subsidiary in Manchuria, Manshu Optics 満州光学工業. Every pair I've seen, and I'm sure the pair being discussed, has a military inspection mark on the hinge cover.

The inspection mark is, 南. You'll find the same mark used on Mukden rifles and bayonets. I'm not suggesting there's any manufacturing relationship, simply Mukden too was in Manchuria. Jon

Sorry about the old Nikon logo business, which was due to my faulty memory. Suzuko as in my earlier post should be correct. The one that started this thread is totally correct for wartime. It was an example diverted out of delivery to the arsenal, which is the reason for the private mark and no military acceptance markings. More on the subject here.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    It was an example diverted out of delivery to the arsenal, which is the reason for the private mark and no military acceptance markings.
    Actually you'll find the private purchase T89 binoculars made by Manshu Optics all seem to have this inspection mark, 南. As I stated in the above post all I've seen have had a military inspection mark. See the attached pic. The T93's discussed in the link are another story, some have an inspection mark others don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast