Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Black light

Article about: I know using a black light isn't a 100% way to determine if something is real or fake ( but it helps), but what size light do you guys think is the best size to use? The light I've been usin

Default Black light

I know using a black light isn't a 100% way to determine if something is real or fake ( but it helps), but what size light do you guys think is the best size to use? The light I've been using is a flashlight type about 5" long with 8 bulbs and takes 3 AAA batteries. Thank you in advance.

?

Size doesn't matter.

You're usually looking at stitching, fabric and such, you don't need to be lugging around a big light.

don't waste your time. A useless fiction.

now that's an interesting response......I've been thinking about such lights for a while....are they only "useless fiction" for certain item types / periods / nationalities...or just useless full stop?

Im curious of Asperious thoughts on the non use of a black light. Let him explain.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I think the term used is called " Fission "
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

MAP
    ?

Black light can be fooled. There was a thread (here? Or somewhere else) that purported to show a spray that would remove the agents that cause the glow. I forget the name of it
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by asterperious View Post
    don't waste your time. A useless fiction.
    I will totally disagree with you. I have used this method for years in helping me with fabric items. The test is not the test to end all test, there are other factors in play such as has the fabric been washed in modern detergents, that will make fabric glow.
    I feel it’s a tool and one that use and as for the light I use a standard black light bulb in a very dark room.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

I still say the BEST three tests out there are

1) your eyes
    2) your nose
    3) your knowledge

The rest are just tools
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I use the black light for a number of things and never had a problem with it. Sometimes I use it too try and make certain things stand out that are in question. It’s never 100% reliable but is a tool that can help you question something. I even use it to identify if a Native American artifact such as a arrowhead has been reworked to make it look better so it would sell for more at auction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast