Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Blade Opinions

Article about: Hello All,I may have a chance to purchase this blade but I wanted some feedback from those with more experience than myself.The overall length is 20" there is a small chip in the kissak

Default Blade Opinions

Hello All,I may have a chance to purchase this blade but I wanted some feedback from those with more experience than myself.The overall length is 20" there is a small chip in the kissaki and some spots of tiredness but is in decent shape overall. I was wondering if the chip in the kissaki looks to be fatal. I would also like to get get some opinions on the signature.Any help appreciated.sorry for the rush job on pics I only had a couple of minutes. Thanks in advance,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blade Opinions   Blade Opinions  

Blade Opinions   Blade Opinions  

Blade Opinions  

It appears the chip is small and the boshi is thick enough to have the kissaki reshaped. All depends on your intentions with the blade and the cost.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Found it!!!!

手柄山氏繁
    Tegarayama Ujishige

Third smith from the top HERE. 5th Generation Ugishige.

Interesting ... his father was 3rd generation and died while junior was in his minority; Uncle became 4th generation until the boy became of age; then beccoming 5th generation.

Another is described:
    播磨国(Harima) 江戸時代・文政六年(Edo era 1823年頃)
    Harima, Edo Jidai, Bunsei 6 nen

--Guy

Just for fun:

手柄山
    Tegarayama is broken down into 5 syllables: te-gara-yama [that'll make it easier for you to read/remember]

氏繁
    Ujishige = 4 syllables: Uji-shige [in Americanese: ewwgee-shee-gay]

.... that's what I'm here for. (^__^)

--Guy

This is the first time I have encountered work from this group. Five generations who worked from the mid 18th c. thru early 19th c. Thanks Guy for the foot work.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you all for the great information! I really appreciate you! Regards,Geoff