MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bringback Grouping

Article about: Picked this grouping up today and would really like some help from our experts on Japanese militaria. What really drew me to this grouping is the plastic type dog tag. I've never seen one li

MAP
    ?

Default Bringback Grouping

Picked this grouping up today and would really like some help from our experts on Japanese militaria.

What really drew me to this grouping is the plastic type dog tag. I've never seen one like this before. The Kanji appears hand carved.

I also can not identify the brass pin and the cloth insignia. Obviously IJN and I've found similar but nothing perfectly matching.

Finally, can anyone translate these two items. My wife could read some of it but some was not in Kanji. (the lady holding the baby is the picture with the writing)

Any and all help is appreciated.

Michael

Bringback GroupingBringback GroupingBringback GroupingBringback GroupingBringback GroupingBringback GroupingBringback GroupingBringback GroupingBringback Grouping
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

plastic name tag:

一整
    Ichi Sei [or Issei?]
    arrange/organize
    [I have no idea!]

一谷
    Ichitani
    surname
    =========
    Photo caption:

昭和拾九年参月拾弐日着

Taken on S. 19 [1944], 12 March
    [using old numbering kanji]

横須賀局気付
    ウ一〇二ウ一〇二

In care of Yokosuka Post Office U102 U102
    [I think this is like the US military Army/Fleet Post Office (APO/FPO) system?]

一小隊第四分隊
    1st Plt., 4th Squad

松本
    Matsumoto

[note: I'm guessing at the second kanji -- it looks similar to other "moto" I've seen when written in a "broken" style. I might be wrong about the surname Matsumoto.]

--Guy

Quote by MAP View Post
    ....My wife could read some of it but some was not in Kanji. (the lady holding the baby is the picture with the writing)
    Michael .... I'm betting your wife is very young!! (^__*) These are all kanji, but the numbers used are the pre-1945 style of more complicated kanji. It's still used today for certificates, bank cheques, etc. where "normal" numbers can be manipulated. For instance:

[1] can, with a single downward stroke, become [10]; however, [1] can never be manipulated.

Martial arts ranks, too, are subject to manipulation. That is why often you'll see
    弐段 instead of 二段 for Nidan [2nd level]
    参段 instead of 三段 for Sandan [3rd level]

That one extra stroke on 2 makes it a 3. Usually manipulations can detected if you are familiar with how brush strokes are made.

MAP
    ?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    plastic name tag:

一整
    Ichi Sei [or Issei?]
    arrange/organize
    [I have no idea!]

一谷
    Ichitani
    surname
    =========
    Photo caption:

昭和拾九年参月拾弐日着

Taken on S. 19 [1944], 12 March
    [using old numbering kanji]

横須賀局気付
    ウ一〇二ウ一〇二

In care of Yokosuka Post Office U102 U102
    [I think this is like the US military Army/Fleet Post Office (APO/FPO) system?]

一小隊第四分隊
    1st Plt., 4th Squad

松本
    Matsumoto

[note: I'm guessing at the second kanji -- it looks similar to other "moto" I've seen when written in a "broken" style. I might be wrong about the surname Matsumoto.]

--Guy
    This is fantastic. I know this was a bit tough to read. My wife had a really hard time finding a direct translation for some of these characters

michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Michael .... I'm betting your wife is very young!! (^__*) These are all kanji, but the numbers used are the pre-1945 style of more complicated kanji. It's still used today for certificates, bank cheques, etc. where "normal" numbers can be manipulated. For instance:

[1] can, with a single downward stroke, become [10]; however, [1] can never be manipulated.

Martial arts ranks, too, are subject to manipulation. That is why often you'll see
    弐段 instead of 二段 for Nidan [2nd level]
    参段 instead of 三段 for Sandan [3rd level]

That one extra stroke on 2 makes it a 3. Usually manipulations can detected if you are familiar with how brush strokes are made.
    I'm wise enough not to tell my wife's age but you can extrapolate based on mine .

Most of the issues in my post are me trying to explain something my wife explains to me..... for which I have absolutely no understanding. . Plus she knows Chinese and not Japanese ...

Thanks Guy for the tutorial. Much appreciated

Michael

Quote by MAP View Post
    I'm wise enough not to tell my wife's age but you can extrapolate based on mine .
    Y.O.U.N.G!

Quote by MAP View Post
    Most of the issues in my post are me trying to explain something my wife explains to me..... for which I have absolutely no understanding. . Plus she knows Chinese and not Japanese ...
    Ahhhhhhhhh ..... I understand. "Been there; done that; got the t-shirt."

Quote by MAP View Post
    Thanks Guy for the tutorial. Much appreciated
    Glad to help.

--Guy

?

Some information on the handwritten Japanese on the back of the photo(?). The U102 U102 postal code points to the 54th Naval Guard Force based on Guam. Looks like it was sent just a few months before the allied invasion. Nice grouping!

Tom

MAP
    ?

Quote by tomp View Post
    Some information on the handwritten Japanese on the back of the photo(?). The U102 U102 postal code points to the 54th Naval Guard Force based on Guam. Looks like it was sent just a few months before the allied invasion. Nice grouping!

Tom
    Tom,

Thanks again. This is great background info. And I wonder if Matsumoto was the reciptiant or the sender.

Ever seen a cloth patch like this? I've seen others that are similar but not the same and without the cherry blossom.

Michael

?

Concerning the round rating, I am not very "in the know" when it comes to Japanese cloth insignia. You can check out Griffin Militaria for one like yours plus other types of insignia (also look at his sold/archive section):

Japanese Insignia - Griffin Militaria

Tom

MAP
    ?

Quote by tomp View Post
    Concerning the round rating, I am not very "in the know" when it comes to Japanese cloth insignia. You can check out Griffin Militaria for one like yours plus other types of insignia (also look at his sold/archive section):

Japanese Insignia - Griffin Militaria

Tom
    And there it is........IJN, Leading Seaman 1st Class Rating.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast