Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone help with this Japanese Badge??

Article about: Was at the local markets and this badge appeared out of now where, the old girl behind the country said it was possably something to do with the war,as her father was with New Zealand 3rd Di

Default Can anyone help with this Japanese Badge??

Was at the local markets and this badge appeared out of now where, the old girl behind the country said it was possably something to do with the war,as her father was with New Zealand 3rd Division in the pacific and it was the last thing she had left of all his old stuff.
    I'm not sure if it is WW2 vintage but it was only a couple bucks so I grabbed it just in case.
    What do you experts think ???

Default Re: Can anyone help with this Japanese Badge??

Whatever it is, it is not Japanese in my opinion. There would be no reason for Western letters to be on an older Japanese piece. Only in the latter part of the 20th Century do we see Western letters and words appearing on Japanese goods.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Worth a shot for so little money It does not look wartime to me but who knows.

?

I don't know if it's period or not BUT it is similar in form to fobs (watches) produced in Japan. Kanji needs to be translated & that will likely solve the mystery. Might be school or civic award fob

The obverse: [shou] Award/Prize

The reverse is written "Hokkai Taimusu Sha" [Hokkaido Times Company]

北海タイムス社

Japanese Wiki Article

Quote by Google Translate
    Hokkai Times was a local newspaper that was published in a wide area with a focus on Sapporo Hokkaido.

History

January 1887, "North Sea newspaper (Hokkai Shinbun)" is first published in Sapporo. October, and renamed "Mainichi Shimbun Hokkaido (Hokkaido Mainichi)" . Merged and "Hokumon Shimpo" and "North Sea current events" on September 5, 1901, it launched the "North Sea Times" . However, on November 1, 1942, is integrated into the "Hokkaido Shimbun" in wartime integration, cessation of publication.

August 3, 1946, it launched the "New North Sea (Shin Hokkai)" as the voluntary pre-war "North Sea Times". On the other hand August 31, 1946, "evening newspaper Times North Sea (North Sea evening paper -)" as 僚紙 of Hokkaido Shimbun is republished. "New North Sea" is merged with "Evening Edition North Sea Times" October 1, 1949, renamed the "North Sea Times". September 1, 1951, it merged with "Otaru Times", the merger of the Kushiro "east Hokkaido Shimbun" in May, in Asahikawa "North Sea daily newspaper" in January 3, 1958. It spread the sales network in every direction.

December 10, 1953, trial of the robbery murder of Kushiro District Court, he went up on stage with a bench photographer of the North Sea Times Kushiro Branch news department belongs off the press gallery, ignore the restraint of the presiding judge and shoot [photograph] the accused. Photographer is sentenced to fines as disorderly conduct of the court. Was defeated photographer to special appeal to the Supreme Court to assert the freedom of the press coverage and also, (North Sea incident Times).

April 1, 1959, and started broadcasting was established Hokutan, Mainichi Newspapers, Tokyu, NTV, Fuji TV, etc. together with the Sapporo Television Broadcasting (STV).

Partnered with Nikkan Sports Shinbun company of Tokyo May 1 1962, launched "Nikkan Sports" version from the Hokkaido Nikkansupotsushinbun-sha which was established. He also launched the "Daily Sapporo" in partnership with the Nikkan Gendai in Tokyo on December 1, 1981.

However, newspapers in Tokyo to Hokkaido advance from middle (~ 1964 1955) 1955. Form to be pincer between Hokkaido Shimbun to defend this, it becomes the problem that some financial difficulties constantly. Quagmire with the new president takes office owner changes in 1996 further, former executives and employees and the new president is conflict, the new president or dismissed former executives, for example, you try to implement the discontinued and all dismissal, after all new president is left to the end of July 1998, bankruptcy filed for personal bankruptcy from management deterioration per day in September, I was discontinued two days next September.

Or from the relationship STV, which was established in the main company entered the series under the Yomiuri Shimbun from 1973, Yomiuri Shimbun owns the right relationship of Daigo trademark the current "North Sea Times". In addition, the Yomiuri Shimbun Hokkaido Branch has taken over and many of the Times sponsored event, and had been deployed in two places and "Yomiuri Square" and "Yomiuri Family Land" 60th (up to 2009) in the Sapporo Snow Festival, and the transition to co-operate with the STV is 61st (2010).
    (July 1993) regionals

Sapporo city edition
    Asahikawa city edition
    Otaru Shiribeshi
    Sorachi
    Tokachi
    Sun bile
    Kamikawa
    Kitasorachi
    Kitami Tome Zong

Remarks

The 3:00 units afternoon, from the early 1980s had been broadcast every Sunday (start date unknown), in the STV television called "Times News Radar", a regional news program for 5 minutes until the end of March 1987 (originally (after Miyuki baseball clinics), after the opening of 6:00 am units from January 1986 5 minutes from 9:55). In addition, news of STV radio was the program name "Times News".
    Times Cup race has been carried out in the JRA Sapporo Racecourse in 1997. It was also planned in 1998, but the race name was changed due to the suspension of publication.
    It has issued a "thirty-five history North Sea Times" company history on August 3, 1981.

Related item

Newspapers (New) North Sea Times hiatus after, was first published by volunteers of the newspaper - Sapporo Times.
    It was held as a "marathon Times" by the (new) North Sea Times sponsored once - Sapporo International Half Marathon.
    I had to link the name to the original benefactor - Sapporo Snow Festival.
    I had appeared in the CM (New) North Sea Times in Yoshimoto Kogyo Sapporo office enrolled at the time - Takaandotoshi.
    I cleaned up a little of that, but not much -- it was getting to be a "JOB".

EDIT: So your badge can be 1901~1942 [changed names in 42] OR after 1 October 1949 when the paper was renamed back to 北海タイムス [North Sea Times].

EDIT 2: Hmmmmm ..... the logo is unique. I'm trying to find it on Google Search. Logos tend to change as time progresses; maybe we can get an approximate date based on the logo? I'll add a third edit if I find anything that narrows the time period.

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 07-03-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Edit; Edit 2

?

Great job Guy! So fob is Japanese just tricky to narrow down date. Did logo change as well?

The only "logo" I can find is a hollow pentagram with the letter "T" in the center. I cannot find the "cirlce-times" mark anywhere. I wonder if it was phased out in Nov 1942?

Retro:

Modern:

sorry...........

--Guy

Pardon for my intrusion, after i read this thread i decide to check on the google too. And same with guy, i can't find any older logo. But i found the same badge with yours in japanese website auction ã€ã‚¸ãƒ£ãƒ³ã‚¯ã€‘è¨˜å µãƒ—ãƒ¬ãƒ¼ãƒˆãƒ»åŒ—æµ·ã ¿ã‚¤ãƒ*ス社 - ヤフオク! and a belt buckle with inscription of "made in (?)" ï¼* 北海タイãƒ*ã‚ ¹ç¤¾ã€€çœŸé®è£½ãƒãƒƒã ¯ãƒ«ã€€å£²ã‚Šåˆ‡ã‚Š - ヤフオク! .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help with this Japanese Badge??   Can anyone help with this Japanese Badge??  

Can anyone help with this Japanese Badge??   Can anyone help with this Japanese Badge??  

Good god, over whelming help, thanks very much guys, although there's a good possibility of it not being WW2 vintage it is still a very interesting little badge. Thanks again for all your help
    Big thanks to Guy, you are and endless source of Japanese knowledge