Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone help me ID this Katana

Article about: I'm sorry I don't have more information it was a gift from a friend's friend. I promise I'm not the one who let it get into the shape its in.

Default Can anyone help me ID this Katana

I'm sorry I don't have more information it was a gift from a friend's friend.

I promise I'm not the one who let it get into the shape its in.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help me ID this Katana   Can anyone help me ID this Katana  

Can anyone help me ID this Katana   Can anyone help me ID this Katana  

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum!

There are many well versed experts here who should be around shortly to give you some insight. However, I recommend that you try to rotate the pictures so as to make it a bit easier for them to view. Thanks for the different exposures to aid in the reading.

My knowledge of translating kanji is non-existent besides a characters or two, but I would venture a guess that each picture should be rotated clockwise 90 degrees. Not counter clockwise..

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Looks like an older blade mounted for war in Type 98 mounts for an IJA Officer.

Whatever you do don't clean that nakago (tang) as it could well devalue the blade. Show us some full photos of the blade.

Regards, and welcome to the forum,
    Stu
    Can anyone help me ID this Katana

?

Can anyone help me ID this Katana.

It looks as though someone has already been at the nakago with steel wool or another abrasive. The kanji are struck very light and are difficult to read. Possibly some chalk in the kanji will help if a better photo is not possible.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I'll take pictures of the full blade today and try chalking the nakago for you.

Quote by DFitzgerald View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses.

I'll take pictures of the full blade today and try chalking the nakago for you.
    Please post the pictures vertical like Stu has done with your original pictures. Trying to read lightly cut kanji sideways is a real pain!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Can anyone help me ID this KatanaCan anyone help me ID this KatanaCan anyone help me ID this KatanaCan anyone help me ID this KatanaCan anyone help me ID this Katana

I hope these are more helpful, sorry about the orientation of the originals

?

Interesting sword! It looks like the sword was presented to the Western Army District Commander in 1943. The Western Army was a designation for one of several districts that were over the many depot divisions throughout Japan. The Western District Army encompassed some of western Honshu island and Kyushu Island. Depot divisions were where newly activated soldiers were given training before being shipped off to their duty stations outside of Japan. If I am reading the presentation kanji correctly, you should be able to find out who the commander of the Western District Army was in 1943 and ID the sword to a particular officer, quite a rarity!

Tom

Wow Tom thanks!

Is there any chance you could post a translation of what you could read? Sadly I know nothing at all of how to read kanji so a translation would help me search.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast