Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!

Article about: sheboygan34's Library | Photobucket Hello, I purchased this sword from a lady at my work who received it from a WWII vet. I was told the vet picked it up during the battle of Guadalcanal. Sh

Default Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!

sheboygan34's Library | Photobucket

Hello, I purchased this sword from a lady at my work who received it from a WWII vet. I was told the vet picked it up during the battle of Guadalcanal. She also had a Japanese rifle from the same vet. I'm no expert when it comes to WWII swords, so any help would be appreciated. I had a friend of mine who knows a little about swords tell me it's an older blade put into a WWII Army Officer sword setting. Thank you.... James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!   Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!  

Default Re: Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    Please post all of the photos here as you did with the other two. You will get more and better response if you do so. Also, the thread will not become useless in the future.
    Thanks,
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi James,
    Your Sword is signed Masayuki and dated 1943
    Cheers Simon

WOW... this is great !! Thank you everyone for the help. For me, it's like a mystery being solved. I have more photos in the photobucket link on my first post. The 2 photos I posted here show both sides of the tang. Is the signature dated 1943 when the sword was made or does this refer to who may have owned it? Most of the photos are from one side, while the photo with the 2 characters are from the other side of the tang.

Thanks again.... James
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!   Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!  

Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!   Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!  

Hi James,
    Just to clarify, your sword is signed Nijimei (two charater) by the swordsmith named "Masayuki" and it is dated on the other side "18th year Showa 11th month"(November 1943)
    Your next step is to check if the sword is traditionally made(Gendai-to) or mass produced.
    Just look for a type of proof stamp above the Masayuki signature.
    If its got one then it's mass produced , but if it hasn't then its a good chance of being traditionally forged however this is not always 100% guarenteed.
    Cheers Simon

Simon, thank you again for the help. There is a small mark above the signature, but it is really hard to see. I'll try an get a photo. Sorry for the dumb question, but if "Masayuki" is the sword smith, what is the significance of "Nijimei" ? I was trying to research the word Nijimei, does this refer to the 2 character signature. Thank you again... James

Hey James,
    Ask away(there's no dumb questions ) The term Nijimei is just the description of the signature, have a look at these links and it will all make sense Varieties of Mei
    JAPANESE SHOWA ERA SWORDS
    Cheers Simon

Sheboygan 34-
    Welcome to the Forum. Niji mei translates to two character signature. Japanese swordsmiths usually signed with a nagamei or long signature listing where they were from and in some cases their honorary title. Niji mei is unusual in Showa era swords. It might indicate a blade ordered as a gift and is likely a traditional hand forged blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

This is way out of my comfort zone, but very interesting

I found this article that may be of use or interest to you.
    JAPANESE SWORD - Ritsumeikan Swords

Also, this picture is probably the smith that made your sword, seated front left. Quite cool I think!
    Can anyone help me with this sword signature... Thank you!!!

I appreciate all the information and time spent answering my questions. I plan on doing some reading to learn more about my sword. Thank you again, James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast