Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone ID this thing? Japanese?

Article about: HI, My father served in WW2, Japan during the last years of the War. He brought home some items which have been stored in a trunk all these years. He passed away before I was old enough to a

jasminesmile
    ?

Default Can anyone ID this thing? Japanese?

HI, My father served in WW2, Japan during the last years of the War. He brought home some items which have been stored in a trunk all these years. He passed away before I was old enough to ask questions. This "thing" I have no idea about. No writing on it or in the box it came in.
    [IMG][IMG]Can anyone ID this thing?  Japanese?[/IMG][/IMG]

The thing measures 1 1/4" long and about 3/8" across. It is made entirely of plastic. The small grey round thing on the top doesn't pull out and I have not forced it. Not sure if it even comes out. However, there is no other way INTO the thing. Nothing in it that I can see, no way to open it. The drawing is that of a repeating design that runs half way around the thing. No other design or writing of any kind. Came in a plain wooden box and was cushioned with cotton material.

My gosh, this thing is driving me nuts and I hope one of you can identify it. BTW, thanks for the picture inserting tutorial. I did get an extra one in there but it was great instruction! Jas
    Attached Images Attached Images Can anyone ID this thing?  Japanese?  Can anyone ID this thing?  Japanese?  Can anyone ID this thing?  Japanese? 

jasminesmile
    ?

Default Re: Can anyone ID this thing? Japanese?

Darn, it doesn't seem anyone recognizes this thing. Is it possibly not even war related? Or not even Japanese?
    Anyone with an idea where I might take this thing for identification? Thanks- j

?

Thing with string, cushioned.... could be anything on Earth, but better don't pull, push or drop it, as one of the things on Earth is "old detonator". I am NOT saying it is one, I have no idea what it is, but who knows, a little caution is never too much

CalBear1994
    ?

I am based in Tokyo and if you provide multiple, clearer pictures showing multiple angles of the item(s) in question I can inquire at the Yushukan at Yasukuni Shrine. This is the military museum that holds military records and artifacts from the families of war veterans. They should be able to identify it. Several Pacific War veterans from all branches volunteer there as well so they should be able to identify it. Also could you find out, if you don't know, what branch / unit your father served in and / or area of the Pacific he served in as this will help narrow it down a little bit more.

Thanks,
    CalBear1994

?

Hi Calbear , and welcome to the forum , it would be fantastic if you could identify this little item , as i was thinking along the lines of a blessing from a shrine , put inside the container and sealed ! If you do find out it would be great if you could let us know

cheers Al