Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Can anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese Sword

Article about: Dear Forum Members my name is Jawad and i am living in Pakistan ,It is a very good forum to discuss World War 2 Items because there is so much history attached to them. My grand father had a

barbarossa
    ?

Default Can anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese Sword

Can anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese SwordCan anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese SwordCan anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese SwordCan anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese SwordCan anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese Sword

Dear Forum Members my name is Jawad and i am living in Pakistan ,It is a very good forum to discuss World War 2 Items because there is so much history attached to them. My grand father had also served British Indian Army on Burmese Front against Japanese from January 1943 - December 1944. He had brought this japanese sword from there which i have kept with great care. Can any one can tell its identity such as Officer rank and Military arm such as Japanese Police or Army. The sword has no markings . Also just for the information as i do not want to sell this sword , does this sword has worth and expected value of the comparable sword in the global market.

Default Re: Can anyone identify my Grand Father Japanese Sword

You may be able to learn a few things about your grandfather's sword by reading this thread.
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/japan...sword-15497-6/
    I believe this one is referred to as a naval Kai Gunto.
    Bob Coleman, Stu or Guy will be along to help you more with this sword.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Dear Jawad,

Welcome to the Forum.
    Don't know much about Japanese swords, but at least I know that you've got a Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) sword or Kai-Gunto.
    There are many knowledgeable collectors here who can help you, no worries.
    Thank you for taking good care of a piece of history.

Regards,
    Taka

?

Hello,

As I saw your other posting first I commented there but to recap, it's a Navy officer Kai-gunto.

For me to give a value will require more and better photos.

Regards,
    Stu

It is indeed a Japanese Naval officer's sword. As it had a leather field cover, it evidently belonged to a member of the Imperial Naval Landing Forces also referred to as Japanese Marines. There is a tapered bamboo pin holding the handle on to the blade. I can not tell from your pictures if teh blade is a traditional hand made blade or a military issue factory produced blade. If you drive the tapered pin out of the handle and then remove the handle, their will likely be some engraved kanji on the blade of the tang. If so, photograph the tang in a vertical position with the top of the tang being the top part of your photo and the butt end at the bottom. This will put the kanji in the proper position to read easily. Welcome to the Forum. I hope we can be of further assistance to you.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi Jawad and welcome to the forum . I love these family heirlooms , and this one is a nice reminder of your grandfathers military history , Burma being a particularly harsh environment ! I love the patina on the tsuba and what looks to be a nice sharkskin covered scabbard that has probably been protected somewhat by the leather field cover . It would be nice to see some better quality closeup photos of the tang , blade and fittings from various angles
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...