Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet

Article about: I'm not really sure how it started but I have a fondness for Japanese Civil Defense helmets.Perhaps it is the many variations there are.One variation is a cast aluminum version.Most Civil De

Default Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet

I'm not really sure how it started but I have a fondness for Japanese Civil Defense helmets.Perhaps it is the many variations there are.One variation is a cast aluminum version.Most Civil Defense helmets I encounter have poor quality liners and chin straps.I thought I would post some pics to show a version of this helmet with its liner and chinstraps intact.I would welcome seeing some of your variations if you wouldn't mind sharing.I think it would be helpful seeing examples to be able to identify the differences between a Combat helmet and a Civil Defense helmet some crook has added a star to, hoping to fleece someone for their hard earned money.All comments and examples appreciated!,Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet   Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet  

Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet   Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet  

A couple more and Interior
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet   Cast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet  

MAP
    ?

Nice one. I've never seen an aluminum one in hand.

I have a steel CD helmet with white band of paint. Can post it when I return in a few days. If I remember correctly it is in pretty minty shape.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi Geoff,
    I have one i got last year, cheap!
    As soon as the battery is charged on the camera, i'll take a few pics to share.
    My liner is different and the colour is more grey.

-I just noticed, mine has 6 rivets/studs for the liner around the rim.

?

Here are the pics.....

i noticed an extra hole above the rear/front rivet, a possible replacement?? the rivets seem to be set square/even, so i'm not sure.
    It is a small size and definitely aluminium.

stegal,Thanks for the pics.Nice helmet! does the liner have actual pads in it? Mine has a bare fabric liner.Does your liner have any type of coating or waterproofing on the pads? My helmet also has the small hole in in the front. I don't know if it was intended as a vent hole or for the attachment for some type of emblem? The ones I see most often have the slot type opening on the front to attach the Civil Defense emblem or some other type of factory/school or other type of emblem.That slot is often used to attach the Army or Navy emblems by unscrupulous people to fool the unsuspecting buyer/collector into thinking it is a combat helmet. Regards,Geoff

?

Here's some close ups of the liner.
    There is one flap of the liner that has torn through the fingers, so i held it back to have a better look.
    It has padding sewn in, as seen in the pics, but it doesn't appear to be water proofed in any way that i can see, perhaps just sweat staining gives it that appearance.
    The material looks like a medium weaved canvas or hessian.

MAP
    ?

As promised. Here is my steel civil defense helmet. Pretty minty. Just some wear to the while paint. Cloth liner with original cord chin strap.

helmet show ripples typical of poor craftsmanship or wornout/dirty drawing machinery or poor steel.

I just snapped these pics at night so poor quality.

Cast Aluminum Civil Defense HelmetCast Aluminum Civil Defense Helmet

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hey stegel Thanks for the photos! I think it would be fair to say that as production progressed during the war the quality of helmets liners and chinstraps continued to deteriorate like the rest of the equipment due to shortages of materials. MAP in the picture of the outside of your helmet you can really see the stress/stretch marks in the metal.I have seen German Luftschutz helmets with the same type of defects.I have heard that the rejected combat helmets were put on a machine that ran a rib around the diameter of the helmet so it could not be sold as first quality and subsequently went to Civil Defense organizations.Regards,Geoff

MAP
    ?

That is correct. A good primer on how and why these ripple happened is in this thread...

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...-shell-519461/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast