Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

"Civil" helmet worn by Navy

Article about: From the book 上海海軍特別陸戦隊 "Special Naval Landing Forces in Shanghai". Sorry about the photo size, I don't have the actual book yet. If I saw this helmet for sale to

Just read my canteen story

?

You just proved my point showing the canteens! The early model has that yellow ochre paint! I’ve seen enough type 90 1939 reprints to know that the latter paint colors were extremely different shade. Nothing to do with paint batch variations. Yes plenty of subtle color differences. I hold my opinion that early top vented army & navy helmets were over painted a unique yellow ochre prior to 1939 directive & were a different unique shade. On another note , I’ve had many international helmet collectors comment that my liner style looks most like Portuguese style liners. We know Japan provided a helmet shell made by Kobe steel under contract to the Portuguese govt. Perhaps a connection

No, I did not prove your point, but rather highlighted the contradiction in your logic. I don't understand your logic that the navy using paint similar to pre-1920 army colors on their 1939 repaint exercise signifies that the repaint had been done earlier. A proper application of that logic would mean that the repaint was done before 1920, before that Type 1 helmet even existed.

Why suddenly apply the army color yardstick to a navy item, when the navy had paid no heed at all to army paint colors before. They decided that light grey was not suited to the environment they more often found themselves in and decided totally independently from the army to adopt an earthy tone. No one said it should simulate currently used army colors, so they ended up using paint in 1939 that happened to look like the 1905 army colors. They had no reason to look like army men of that time, so they went their own way as always, simple. In my opinion, you are letting the tail wag the dog and distorting history.

Enjoy your 1929 helmet repainted before 1920.

?

I most certainly will enjoy my 1929 helmet repainted prior to 1939. Your rigid, anal approach has been proven wrong quite a few times over the years. Who’s to say if the yellow ochre paint was provided by army or navy!?! We know for a fact that the army loaned helmets (different models) to the navy. Why not paint? My helmet variation was made exclusively for the navy, the liner, chinstrap and insignia was designed for this specific helmet. It came in gray shipboard paint & repainted for land base navy troops prior to 1939.

?

Quote by Jareth View Post
    You just proved my point showing the canteens! The early model has that yellow ochre paint! I’ve seen enough type 90 1939 reprints to know that the latter paint colors were extremely different shade. Nothing to do with paint batch variations. Yes plenty of subtle color differences. I hold my opinion that early top vented army & navy helmets were over painted a unique yellow ochre prior to 1939 directive & were a different unique shade. On another note , I’ve had many international helmet collectors comment that my liner style looks most like Portuguese style liners. We know Japan provided a helmet shell made by Kobe steel under contract to the Portuguese govt. Perhaps a connection
    Can i known more up this Japan contract with Portugal ?? Thanks

?

Dare I say - putting paint shades and dates aside - that is a superb helmet and thank you for showing it Jareth.

This thread was good before that was posted, for people like me on the outside of this level of collecting, the debate is very interesting to read and gives opportunity to learn so much.

Steve.

?

Your welcome. Nick deserves credit. On a final note. I don’t believe this model was even in circulation prior to 1939 directive. It was long phased out by then

?

They were used back home for training purposes, but rarely show up in photos. This picture is dated 1942 in Sasebo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3