Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Documentation that came with a shin gunto

Article about: Dear forum members, to begin with I am a newbie. This site is brought to my attention bij a fellow sword forum member named Bruce. Yesterday I bought a shin gunto, which had a piece of paper

?

Default Documentation that came with a shin gunto

Dear forum members, to begin with I am a newbie. This site is brought to my attention bij a fellow sword forum member named Bruce. Yesterday I bought a shin gunto, which had a piece of paper with it. Of course it was written down in Japanese, of which I have no knowledge at all. Are there people on this site who can help me with it. Also I dit not remove the handle yet because the Mekugi sits very thight in the handle and being a newbie, I don't want tot damage things. Thanks in advanceDocumentation that came with a shin gunto

Looks like a mail ordered sword for an army quartermaster Lt. Tetsuo Sekii of the 18th Aerial Information troops. The sword is described as a Shinshinto without any Mei, so if we can believe the description, there is nothing to be gained by taking the handle off. The card also testifies the sword was sent by military mail duly passing the censoring.

?

Hello Nick, thanks for your very fast reply. It is much appreciated. Yours sincerely, Leen

?

Does the documentation perhaps also mention a Date?

No, unless there is something on the other side of that post card 

Quote by leen View Post
    Does the documentation perhaps also mention a Date?
    If the description on the card is correct, it says it is shinshinto which is an approximate dating to the 19th c.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

So are we are to understand that what we have here is a mail order sword, commercially available as opposed to custom, with an old (not Gendai) blade. Not a "family blade" as a modern dealer would try to describe it. Fascinating.
    And before I forget to mention, what an excellent find. How many Shin Gunto, or any other swords, come with documentation identifying the original owner. A damn nice sword as well.

I think you are attaching too much of a Amazonian nuance to "mail ordered", by which I merely meant it was delivered to the owner by mail. It could have been a family blade, or even a sword sent out for repair coming back, etc. A sender's name might have given us clues, but there's nothing that hints further at the nature of the particular transaction.

Quote by DaveR View Post
    So are we are to understand that what we have here is a mail order sword, commercially available as opposed to custom, with an old (not Gendai) blade. Not a "family blade" as a modern dealer would try to describe it. Fascinating.
    There is a misconception among collectors that antique blades found in military mounts are family blades. This is a total misconception. Officers had the option to purchase an older blade from a sword dealer and have it mounted for military use. At the time, an unsigned shinshinto would not have been an expensive item to purchase. This is likely the case with this blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I do tend to jump to conclusions, especially when the evidence seems to confirm a pet theory. But it is a possibility perhaps...... Interesting that the label describes the blade though rather than just describing it as a Shin Gunto, or as the officers personal sword.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast