Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

does this blade/tang signature look legit?

Article about: Looking for a decent, hoenest, katana, in shin gunto or civilain mounts with a hand made blade. Does not have to be 1500 years old, but cannot tolerate a Chinese fake. Not finding many sourc

?

Default does this blade/tang signature look legit?

Looking for a decent, hoenest, katana, in shin gunto or civilain mounts with a hand made blade. Does not have to be 1500 years old, but cannot tolerate a Chinese fake. Not finding many sources out there. Seems its either rusty crap or a blade that has never been touched by ungloved hands.

Anyway, hoping some expecrts here can comment on thie pics below. The lack of grain tells me its not outright fake, but not sure on the signature. From what I understand this dates from 1943 or so.

What is something like this worth?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture does this blade/tang signature look legit?   does this blade/tang signature look legit?  

Default Re: does this blade/tang signature look legit?

An example of a hand made war period blade. I cannot read the entire writing on the nakago as better pictures are required. This is definitely not a Chinese fake.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    An example of a hand made war period blade. I cannot read the entire writing on the nakago as better pictures are required. This is definitely not a Chinese fake.
    Thanks you much for your time. Its amazing the price variance I find. Similar item from ~ 1400s went for only 1,200, while a '43 example went for 1,600-both signed. I understand that the dating to 1400 its a bit dodgy, and blade condition is paramount, but still.

Also, both the above had what I would call ornate scabbards. This one seems to have a plane metal one, which you would think would reflect in a lower the price.

Thanks again.

Quote by drdata View Post
    Thanks you much for your time. Its amazing the price variance I find. Similar item from ~ 1400s went for only 1,200, while a '43 example went for 1,600-both signed. I understand that the dating to 1400 its a bit dodgy, and blade condition is paramount, but still.

Also, both the above had what I would call ornate scabbards. This one seems to have a plane metal one, which you would think would reflect in a lower the price.

Thanks again.
    Every hand made Japanese sword is a unique item. Therefore, it is very difficult to judge value from photographs. The older blade you cite may have flaws. The signature may not be genuine. There is much that can impact value. At the same time, modern blades cannot be valued by their year of manufacture. The same criteria for evaluation would also apply to a modern blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Thanks Bob. Reasonable if not a bit open ended. Such is life. Something is worth what another will pay. If I can get away with less than 1500 for a decent hand made (war time) it seems somewhat safe. No way I way I would throw in on some multi-G item as too hard for me to judge whatever nuance is being factored.

Regards

?

三陽住藤原一則作之 = Sanyō jū Fujiwara Kazunori saku kore.
    昭和十九年五月吉日 = A lucky day in May 1944.

I was always told you judge a sword like you would art you can have a really bad swordsmith but a very beautiful blade or you could have a master swordsmith and a bad blade so every blade should be judged on its own merit not just who made it