Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Does this Tojo Flag look okay to you?

Article about: So, there you have it. On the Surface,, it Looks okey, but when a person that can Read the Kanji takes a deeper look at it, then it's rapidly becoming apparent that this one is . What sinks

So, there you have it. On the Surface,, it Looks okey, but when a person that can Read the Kanji takes a deeper look at it, then it's rapidly becoming apparent that this one is . What sinks it for me Now, is the false dating of 1944 written right on it. These flags can be very dangerous for collectors. I know, that when I take a look at them, I first note what the material is made of and how it is put together, but if you are able to read the Writing on it, it's something altogether different! It's looking very likely that this is a tourist flag made to resemble the old war flags brought home by GI's that everyone knew and recognized, but is, no doubt, modern made for the post war travel souvenir gatherers.

The war flags are not all that hard to find nor are they hugely expensive unless they are something Special. If you want to pick one up, there are plenty of them out there of unquestionable authenticity. I would suggest leaving this one stay on the souvenir shop shelf where it came from.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I'll definitely be passing on this piece. Thanks everyone!

Well, some nice original blank flags with nothing written on were written by some people to make them look like Yosegaki.

We call the blank "Meat Ball" flags 日章旗 (Nisshouki) -----> With writings on Nisshouki is called 日の丸寄せ書き (Hinomaru Yosegaki)

Regards,
    Taka

For discussion purposes...why isnt the flag just called a "Japanese war flag" why is it called "Tojo" after the general? I would think the flag is more representative to the country of japan,,than Tojo himself. The same when I hear the "skin crawling" phrase..."Nazi German"...which IMO stereotypes a mass of people because of a few. Just thinking out loud...and im not looking to throw beer bottles and start a fight Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by SHINDENKAI View Post
    Well, some nice original blank flags with nothing written on were written by some people to make them look like Yosegaki.

We call the blank "Meat Ball" flags 日章旗 (Nisshouki) -----> With writings on Nisshouki is called 日の丸寄せ書き (Hinomaru Yosegaki)

Regards,
    Taka
    Yes! There are literally thousands of flags around from the war but many of the modern day Japanese can not decipher the old style writing. It has become modernized as of today and the old school art of sumi-e is not practiced much except by artists. Here is a sheet of common kanji as found on the yosegaki flags. Even using it is tough as the Japanese read a different way. Expect no mercy~~~ LOL! As was pointed out previously, it is not difficult to acquire an original and the artwork can be beautiful but you better know what the real deal looks like.

Quote by Larry C View Post
    For discussion purposes...why isnt the flag just called a "Japanese war flag" why is it called "Tojo" after the general? I would think the flag is more representative to the country of japan,,than Tojo himself. The same when I hear the "skin crawling" phrase..."Nazi German"...which IMO stereotypes a mass of people because of a few. Just thinking out loud...and im not looking to throw beer bottles and start a fight Regards Larry
    Hi Larry-san,

Probably a collectors term because these flags were often have Tojo's full name written by some other individuals. And the funny thing is they sometime wrote the wrong characters.

Please take a look at my post: Tojo Flag Alert !

Regards,
    Taka

Quote by Nigel Lesgate View Post
    Yes! There are literally thousands of flags around from the war but many of the modern day Japanese can not decipher the old style writing. It has become modernized as of today and the old school art of sumi-e is not practiced much except by artists. Here is a sheet of common kanji as found on the yosegaki flags. Even using it is tough as the Japanese read a different way. Expect no mercy~~~ LOL! As was pointed out previously, it is not difficult to acquire an original and the artwork can be beautiful but you better know what the real deal looks like.
    Hi Nigel,

Agree.

Attribution should be given to Nick Komiya who created the chart you displayed above:

--Guy

?

Thanks guys. Lots of good info here again for your fellow collectors. I just passed on 2 signed flags friday night at the gun show.
    The reason? Because of the info that has been on this forum in the last few weeks regarding the "Tojo" flags and such.
    The fellow wanted 150 USD each for them. Both had Tojo's signature on it.
    Thanks again guys for the great information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2