Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version

Article about: The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version This is a updated and expanded version of an article I originally released a month ago. Foreword The army’s standard infantryman’s

MAP
    ?

Nick. So grateful to have you here. Just read through this Canteen thread. Fantastic! I have a model 98 in cloth webbing. This thread just filled in all the gaps!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for letting me know.

Fantastic thread and research much valuable information! Many thanks. timothy

If you enjoyed this thread be sure to read also the companion piece to this about the evolution of the bread bags here
    The Evolution of the IJA Bread Bag (1889-1945)

?

Excellent thread Nick, so many changes!

Regards

Russ

Nick, many thanks for this amazingly, interesting thread! Thanks to you, it's all become clear to me.
    In addition, you have a very exciting style of presentation.

If you do not mind, I'll ask a few questions on the subject of Japanese canteens?

1) Early model glass canteen (1892, with a hanging hook for mounting inside breadbag) , they also have a removable leather bottom, intended a Drinking Cup?

2) Officers canteen ( with a drinking cup), In what year they were formally adopted?

3) The Japanese Army cavalry used the same canteens, that other kind of troops? (except of course the navy and marines, I know that they are different). On the Japanese site I've seen that this canteens, called "cavalry", is not it? Apparently, this is a "civil" ?

4) Please tell me, where to find more information about aluminium drinking cups?

I apologize for the large number of questions, but this topic is very interesting for me

Best regards, Michael

Sorry to be late in responding. I was busy finishing my war medal story. Those are all good questions, as I have wondered the same. However, officer and non-infantry gear have been placed outside my research, so I am not in a position to answer those questions. The cavalry also had special ammo pouches for the type 30/38, but those are not included in my story for the same reason. Officer items are also not of interest to me, nor the navy. As a researcher handling a wide range of topics I have to focus narrowly the area, as I dig deep into its history. Cavalry canteens must have existed, but they are not included in the master regulations governing mainstream gear, so I guess they were treated totally separately. I did not come across any information on cavalry canteens except the Russo-Japan War style. I did find officer canteen related documents and kept some, but did not read them.

As for the glass canteens, the Germans had a tin one attached to the bottom, but the only Japanese document discussing details of the construction of the Japanese version can only be understood to mean the leather bottom was supposed to function as a cup, which does make sense of the complaint about the disgusting smell.

The aluminum cups in Almite was a civilian product in every household and not a military item. They were neither in the army spec book nor in the sales item lists of the army PX.

Nick, thank you for your answers!
    PS I'm a little surprised that the Japanese soldiers were not "official army cups". I did not know this before, thinking that this "military equipment".

Best regards, Michael

I took a quick look for you in the officer's canteen documents I ran into and had set aside. The earliest one is Army Ordinance 9 dated 9th September 1912 from the time they set up a back pack, mess kit and canteen for officer's. This may be the first model, but without further research I cannot be sure.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of IJA Canteens (1889-1945) Expanded Version  

Nick, thank you so much again! Your theme - the only source of rare materials which are unlikely I can find somewhere.
    It turns out that a different type of covers (with a vertical buttons at the front) - a "late" issue.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast