Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version

Article about: The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Prolog During the Russo-Japanese War, the army received a letter dated 28th April 1905 from a private inventor, who had the idea t

?

Quote by Jareth View Post
    My observations lead me to believe size marked liners were discontinued at a later date.
    Hi Jareth, I also heard that production of the small size helmet tailed off later in the war so the need of a marking became obsolete. No idea where that story came from, just something that pops up whether there's any credible evidence to back that up don't know.

That may be based on the fact that small sizes are relatively rare on today's market and seem negligible, but during the war, roughly half of what actually got issued were consistently small sizes, based on a sample size of several thousand I checked. There is no way you can just drop a size so much in demand.

Very Nice Post's, This is not quite the place to put this but back in about 1975 , I bought a couple of sets of Samurai Armor in Spokane Washington, I live near Boise Idaho and I had them in the Back seat of a 72 Cadillac Sedan De Ville and can you Imadgine the looks I got going down the Free way LOL
    Bob

?

Quote by redsled View Post
    Very Nice Post's, This is not quite the place to put this but back in about 1975 , I bought a couple of sets of Samurai Armor in Spokane Washington, I live near Boise Idaho and I had them in the Back seat of a 72 Cadillac Sedan De Ville and can you Imadgine the looks I got going down the Free way LOL
    Bob
    Hi Bob, Man that would have looked somewhat surreal brother!

Ian

The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version

Default Are these Type 22 Helmets?

I just received two original photos (4" x 5.75" / 14.5 x 10cm) of what seem to be Japanese infantry in training, wearing the Type 22 helmets. I think it is training as the men are all bunched together, making a great artillery target.

I've scaned the images at super large dpi, but will attach two details for your perusal. The photo without the Hinomaru flag simply has 甲 and 3.4/10 annotated on the reverse side; no markings on the other photo.

EDIT: Top photo, soldier on the left (3rd helmet from the left) looks to be wearing the Type 2 cherry blossom helment: short rear brim and blossom on top.

Regards,
    --Guy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version   The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

Guy,
    Thank you for the great photos. Those are not 1922 star-vent helmets, as the brims are far too wide in the rear. They will have to remain a mystery helmet. Too bad the photos don't have dates.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Guy,
    Thank you for the great photos. Those are not 1922 star-vent helmets, as the brims are far too wide in the rear. They will have to remain a mystery helmet. Too bad the photos don't have dates.
    Yes, too bad no dates. What about that 3rd helmet in the top image ... isn't that a cherry blossom helmet? It looks like a really short rear brim, and something on the top.

Check your email for full photos.

--Guy

Yes, the one you referred to is a 1922. If it is with cherry blossom, the photo is closer to 1930 than 1922. The photos probably are from the Manchurian Incident. They had to mobilize troops, but couldn't make enough of the Type 90 helmets that just got launched, so they tended to grab what they could, ending up wearing all manner of helmets.
    Here's an example of that kind of hodgepodge mix
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  

Okay, so not a unique photo! Rats. (*__^)

--Guy

Default Nobutaka Shioden

Nick,

So what about this helmet? It sure looks like a French Adrian helmet with an Imperial Guards badgel. Nyle sent the image to me saying Nobutaka was in the Imperial Guards.

Quote by Nyle Monday
    ...I came across the attached photo, which reminded me of our helmet conversation the other day. I can't quite make out the insignia on the front, but this guy was in an Imperial Guards regiment so that may be it. I've never seen anything like this in real life. At first glance I would have thought it to be French....
    Thanks,
    --Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version  The Evolution of the Japanese Army Steel Helmet (1918-1945) Revised and Expanded Version 

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast