Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fake? Japanese good luck flag

Article about: Got this in a lot of stuff from a local vet who passed, while I think this piece is period, I'm inclined to call it a fake, but wanted a confirmation on that anyways. Lots of staining on thi

Default Fake? Japanese good luck flag

Got this in a lot of stuff from a local vet who passed, while I think this piece is period, I'm inclined to call it a fake, but wanted a confirmation on that anyways. I do not collect these and therefore do not have any real literature. Lots of staining on this one.

Fake? Japanese good luck flag

Hello,

I can't comment on originality but I will say it is somewhat unusual compared to what I have seen and owned. Is the material silk? Most flags I have held have a sewn-in disk as seen below in my cotton example. I have not come across one like yours, the disk almost appears painted on but may be the poor pic? Cheers
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake? Japanese good luck flag  
    Best regards,
    Chris

"Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also."
    Carl Jung

That is a homemade Yosegaki flag improvised from a silk handkerchief or Furoshiki, depending on how large it is. The hand done orb and flipping it backwards makes it look strange, but it is authentic from the time. It was presented to a Shiro Matsuda, but beyond the usual slogans there is nothing much to say.

The correct orientation of the flag is as shown below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fake? Japanese good luck flag