Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Fake Late War Wooden Handle NCO Sword

Article about: Hi All, We are nearly all overwhelmed with Fake Brass and Aluminium Handled Type 95's if we go on ebay and don't set some filter out, but this one slipped into my search- The first FAKE Wood

?

Hi Michael,

You are welcome. There are actually a couple versions later than the one I have shown. I don't happen to have examples in my collection so wasn't able to show them. The first, like Ern has shown has the metal saya. The following three have wooden ones. You may also note that these wooden tsuka types at 103cm are longer than the metal tsuka versions at 96cm.

Regards,
    Stu

MAP
    ?

Mine is with a metal saya/scabbard. So late war but not last ditch. Right?

It's packed away somewhere. Will need to take it out and study it more

Learned something new today.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    Mine is with a metal saya/scabbard. So late war but not last ditch. Right?

It's packed away somewhere. Will need to take it out and study it more

Learned something new today.

M

Definitely late war but not yet, in my view, quite last ditch as the construction is still good and the saya is steel. The ones that followed with their cloth covered wood core saya or painted wood saya as shown in my example came later.

Please do start a new thread for it and post photos of yours when you get a chance.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Stu, you are correct in your clarification of Late War/Last Ditch or 'Very Late War' as i like to think of them.
    Looking at your pics, i think i'll have to retake all of mine and try to make them as nice as yours! Well done.
    I thought i'd add the last two models for any one interested, they are the same as per Dawson's book, except mine has green ito wrap instead of the red wrap on the very last model.
    Ern

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wrfP7060289a.jpg 
Views:	746 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	777821

?

Hi Ern,

The uppermost sword is one I have studied where I can through photographs. I tend to agree that as suggested by Dawson it was possibly intended as a late stage version of an Officer sword. I can't see the powers that be suddenly upgrading the current NCO version with a wrap whereas I can see them wrapping a version for Officers as it would still be above the unwrapped NCO version yet below what they (Officers) had been used to. Regardless, it's a very desirable piece.

Have you any opinions on that topic?

Regards,
    Stu

MAP
    ?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Definitely late war but not yet, in my view, quite last ditch as the construction is still good and the saya is steel. The ones that followed with their cloth covered wood core saya or painted wood saya as shown in my example came later.

Please do start a new thread for it and post photos of yours when you get a chance.

Regards,
    Stu
    Will do. Probably later in the week when I get back.

thanks again

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Ern,

The uppermost sword is one I have studied where I can through photographs. I tend to agree that as suggested by Dawson it was possibly intended as a late stage version of an Officer sword. I can't see the powers that be suddenly upgrading the current NCO version with a wrap whereas I can see them wrapping a version for Officers as it would still be above the unwrapped NCO version yet below what they (Officers) had been used to. Regardless, it's a very desirable piece.

Have you any opinions on that topic?

Regards,
    Stu
    Well Stu, i agree that Dawson's suggestion is a possibility, however i'm not so sure.
    With all the other Late War Shin Gunto's available (that is the ones with plain ordinary fittings), i really can't see an officer stepping down, so to speak, to an NCO's version, even if it does have ito wrapping on the handle.
    I 'm more inclinded to think that production issues resulted in this model.
    Alternatively, who can be certain of the order in models? perhaps the ito version came first and with shortages, they went back to plain carved wood? This is also a possibility, but i personally don't think so.
    Ern

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12