Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help please

Article about: Hi, Im thinking of buying this but im not sure if its authentic or a reproduction. I have a feeling its a fake, but since I know nothing about swords (at this point) I cant tell and i want t

Bluescan
    ?

Default Fake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help please

Hi, Im thinking of buying this but im not sure if its authentic or a reproduction. I have a feeling its a fake, but since I know nothing about swords (at this point) I cant tell and i want to be sure before I buy. Please tell me what makes it a fake if it is.
    Fake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help pleaseFake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help pleaseFake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help pleaseFake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help pleaseFake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help pleaseFake or Real Shin Gunto 98? Help please

?

You are correct it is a fake. They never put Kanji (japanese writting) on the blade. On the tang yes, but never on the blades. Carvings Yes. Better pic's would be great to point other things out. But that collar Habaki is poorly done. The blades tip(Kissaki) is not defined and the steel on the blade looks more like Damascus than the fine grain(hada) it should have. I would put this in the Chinese copy category.
    I'm just at a novice level(20+ Years) for these so Please wait for those that have studied these for many more years than I. They will be along very soon.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Reproduction (Chinese in my opinion) but of a Type 94 not a 98.

Here are two links that might assist you in learning about Japanese military swords.

Military Swords of Imperial Japan (GuntM)

THE JAPANESE SWORD GUIDE

Regards,
    Stu

?

As to what makes it a fake ... well, every part is similar, but not the same, as those on real swords. Look at and compare the details of that sword with those of this one ...

http://www.nihontoantiques.com/fss300.htm

Of course the blades are vastly different because the linked sword is a Yasukunito but scroll down and look at the mounts etc. and you will see the difference in the quality of workmanship.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Was I close Stu? Was I looking for the right things? Go ahead and hit me. I am still learning and I can take it. It is the faults that make us stronger and then know what we must improve upon.
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Was I close Stu? Was I looking for the right things? Go ahead and hit me. I am still learning and I can take it. It is the faults that make us stronger and then know what we must improve upon.
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Hi Phil. I'm sure we looked at the same aspects and came up with the same correct conclusion. There is no doubt it's a fake. Each and every part lacks the quality of manufacture associated to a true Japanese sword. Those big kanji on the blade are an instant red flag as is the numbered habaki, and then the others come into focus. I'm just pleased that our new member wisely chose to post photos first before paying out any hard earned money.

Regards,
    Stu

I agree that this is a fake for the afore mentioned reasons. I would like to respectfully make one correction to this thread. Kanji can at times be found carved in to the surface of the cutting edge part of the blade. The carvings usually have a rekigious overtone. It is more common to find bonji, a sandscript religious character carved in to a blade.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

FYI re kanji; just in case you were wondering what it said:

小川包重

Ogawa Kaneshige

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I agree that this is a fake for the afore mentioned reasons. I would like to respectfully make one correction to this thread. Kanji can at times be found carved in to the surface of the cutting edge part of the blade. The carvings usually have a rekigious overtone. It is more common to find bonji, a sandscript religious character carved in to a blade.
    Hi Bob,

That is of course correct. I've seen photos of some with kanji on the blade. One was a Gensuito if I remember correctly. I think it's safe to say though that they are done with a great deal of skill as opposed to what we see in the sword posted by Bluescan. Would you agree? It is the large clumsy type shown here that I made reference to that my red flag comment.

Regards,
    Stu

Bluescan
    ?

Wow! Thank you all for the great answers and thank you for the links, i really appreciate it. Looking forward to learn more about japanese swords.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast