Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Is this flag original, and worth $100?

Article about: I want to get one Japanese flag for my collection, and I like this one. But I have no idea what I'm getting into in the Japanese side of things. It has a little staining in the upper right c

Great info. Rolling it up and storing it in an acid free poster tube is a good way to go. Usually, you see acid free paper, card and poster storage at sports card shops. I use acid free card storage pages for insignia. NH

I really love these flags. They're not just a flag or a symbol, but very personal items. The Japanese heritage is so rich, it would be quite an honor to have one of them. I know they're pretty common, but they don't strike me as a mere good luck card from Hallmark. From what I gather from the Japanese, they didn't take this sort of thing lightly, and thus it had profound significance. I have a lot of respect for them.

?

I would be comfortable having that flag in my collection. Color is well preserved and the kanji have not run. The price of 100 USD is less than half of what a dealer would sell it at and even a collector to collector sale would realize about 200 given the condition and the poem. Even if it remains un-translated it is somewhat unique.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Further to my last, if you want just one and you like it I suggest you consider having it framed in an archival manner. Prices range greatly to have that done so check around and educate yourself first on what level of archival work needs take place.

Regards,
    Stu

?

I see you are in the US. A friend of mine had a couple done at Michael's. They did a fantastic job and the cost was quite reasonable as he waited for one of their 50-60% off sales that seem to come along every few months.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by avenger View Post
    I really love these flags. They're not just a flag or a symbol, but very personal items. The Japanese heritage is so rich, it would be quite an honor to have one of them. I know they're pretty common, but they don't strike me as a mere good luck card from Hallmark. From what I gather from the Japanese, they didn't take this sort of thing lightly, and thus it had profound significance. I have a lot of respect for them.
    You are correct, they did not take these lightly and recognized that the recipient may soon be giving his life for the Emperor. Giving one's life in service of the Emperor was looked upon as an honorable way to die but I suspect that when faced with imminent demise the recipient of the flag might have regretted the timing at such a young age.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Quote by avenger View Post
    Awesome. Thanks Wagriff.

Did I see a post somewhere (I can't find a link right now) that helps identify what the patriotic saying is? For all I know this guy graduated from college, and this was his congratulations flag!

Thread for the Compilation of Kanji Slogans and Translations - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

Regards,
    Stu

Awesome. Thanks so much Stu. Great info. I will definitely look into having it framed. Hobby Lobby has framed some large posters for me with archival materials, and we do in fact have a Michales in town that would be worth looking into.

If you decide to frame in behind glass, make sure that the glass in Anti UV. It should like fine in a frame. I like it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Received this flag today. I have some concerns about it, and it may just be my inexperience with Japanese items. I hope so, or I'm out $100.

The biggest concern is that the tabs don't look like leather to me, or at least they've very thin, and the texture looks to be stamped on or something like that. Other examples have more thick leather and different stitching.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tabs.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	231.3 KB 
ID:	706174

Secondly, and this may not be an issue, there's a line down the end of the flag where the material gets just a shade darker for the last 4 inches of the flag. It's kind of like they had to switch to a different silk spool, which had a little bit darker silk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	706175

Otherwise, it's a lovely flag, exactly like pictured earlier in this thread.

I'm a little worried about these issues though, so I appreciate any help you can provide!

Scott
    Last edited by avenger; 06-25-2014 at 04:02 AM.
    "Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief." - C.S. Lewis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast