Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help

Article about: Hey Guys, Picked up 2 swords the other day and need some help figuring out what they are. Is there anyone here who can read what is stamped on the tang? Are these WWII or maybe even older? T

Default Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help

Hey Guys,
    Picked up 2 swords the other day and need some help figuring out what they are. Is there anyone here who can read what is stamped on the tang? Are these WWII or maybe even older? This post I will show the bottom swords tang, the sword with the leather scabbard. Should I clean..leave as is for now? Thanks for any help.
    Rgds, Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help   Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help  

Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help   Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help  

Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help   Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help  

Default Re: Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help

They are both Shin Gunto's (Army swords).

The top one is an earlier type 98 model, maybe a chrome plated saya (scabbard) it looks like? It is hard to tell if it is a hand made blade, some close up pictures of the blade would help. Do you have any pictures of the tang of this sword?

The bottom one is a late '44 pattern gunto, these late swords almost always had hand made blades. This is a WWII era blade for sure.

Dont clean the tang, it will decrease the value. I wouldn't try to clean the blade either, you could damage or destroy it if done the wrong way. You could get the blades polished by a professional, but chances are it will most likely cost more than the sword is worth. The only thing I would suggest doing to the blades would be oiling them with choji oil. Also be sure not to touch the blades with your bare hands, this will leave oils on the blade, causing them to rust leaving pitting spots.
    Last edited by miner1436; 03-30-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Mike,

If you at any time want to part with one, I am still looking for one for my boy (he is 21). Maybe a swap for some German stuff? Condition is not impotant to me just that it is original. Sadly he has no interest in my German collection but likes Jap stuff, probably due to all the cartoons he used to watch?!
    Its still Axis though!

Jock

Those are great swords, great find. congrats
    Best regards
    Nuno

Thanks for all the reply's guys..Ok wont touch for now. The top blades scabbard does look to be chrome. I believe I was the first to take the handle off the bottom sword but this one I think someone beat me to it..here are pics of the tang of the top sword.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help   Found 2 WWII Japanese swords..Need help  

Ok, this blade is a non-tradtionally made blade with the seki factory stamp. It is WWII era, blades with a seki stamp mean they were mass produced but hand made in a factory, and had passed the Seki Swordsmith Association quality inspection.
    Last edited by miner1436; 03-31-2010 at 12:26 AM.

?

Quote by Dirt Detective View Post
    Is there anyone here who can read what is stamped on the tang?
    I think the sword in the first post was made by Kanetada 兼忠. The signature is very chippy and hopefully Guy can confirm or deny.
    兼忠 = Kanetada.
    昭和二十年一月 = 1945 January.
    Red paint: 四三四 = 434.

Quote by Kiipu View Post
    I think the sword in the first post was made by Kanetada 兼忠. The signature is very chippy and hopefully Guy can confirm or deny.
    兼忠 = Kanetada.
    昭和二十年一月 = 1945 January.
    Red paint: 四三四 = 434.
    Agree the first one is 兼忠

The second one (Post 5) is
    濃州関住小島勝正作
    Noshu Seki-ju Kojima Katsumasa Saku
    ...it has a [関] QC stamp.

-- Guy

Thank you for the updated info. This forum is fantastic.