Genuine WW2 Japanese Tanto?

Article about: I recently aqquired this little piece (not for too much) off of an auction site. I am not an expert on Japanese edged weapons & so I am not sure what to look for to tell if it is a genui

?

Question Genuine WW2 Japanese Tanto?

I recently aqquired this little piece (not for too much) off of an auction site. I am not an expert on Japanese edged weapons & so I am not sure what to look for to tell if it is a genuine WW2 item or not, help would be appreciated!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	994337   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	994338  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	994339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	994340  

It appears to be the type of tanto sold for shrine gifts. It is not a blade of great age and possibly is stainless steel.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Is there no chance it could of WW2 origin - in which an officer/soldier (whoever) had it from his private life, rather than military?

?

Civil purchase, IMO. But its not a tanto, since it dosnt have a guard and its not in koshirae, but in shirasaya.

Tanto is the name of the mounts and size.

The knife is ww2.

Quote by FinMC View Post
    Is there no chance it could of WW2 origin - in which an officer/soldier (whoever) had it from his private life, rather than military?
    There is no way to tell.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

It has the look of one of those post war crafted tantos made from chopped up gunto. I'm reading a book now, in which the author interviewed a swordsmith fron the war who collected 2 tons of chopped up blades, kept them under his house, and made tanto, knives, etc. Smiths had a very hard time after the war just trying to make a living, so this is one way this gentleman found to survive.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    It has the look of one of those post war crafted tantos made from chopped up gunto. I'm reading a book now, in which the author interviewed a swordsmith fron the war who collected 2 tons of chopped up blades, kept them under his house, and made tanto, knives, etc. Smiths had a very hard time after the war just trying to make a living, so this is one way this gentleman found to survive.
    Could be -- that nakago is mighty rough; maybe because it is fashioned from the tempered portion of the blade.

I know a sword polisher whose father was a smith. His father produced a lot of swords during the winter (easier to work in the forge in winter!), but left them in rough polish; when he died, he had a stack of them. When his son needed some money (not likely because he was landlord of a 5-rise apartment), he'd pull out one, polish it, then sell it. Dunno how he got around naming/dating them since they needed to be registered afterwards.

--Guy