Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Good Luck Flag

Article about: My other Good Luck Flag, purchased shortly before the one with the charms. This one looks named to me as I can see the family name Arai in the vertical string on the right (with the help of

Default Good Luck Flag

My other Good Luck Flag, purchased shortly before the one with the charms. This one looks named to me as I can see the family name Arai in the vertical string on the right (with the help of jisho.org!). Is there anything else of particular interest? What do the 2 big characters at the top represent?
    Cheers,
    Tony
    Good Luck FlagGood Luck FlagGood Luck FlagGood Luck FlagGood Luck FlagGood Luck FlagGood Luck Flag

It celebrates Mitsuhide Arai joining the Navy. This one has a fair number of messages. 

The writing on top says Taisho, Great Justice as in the era or if read in the normal right-left manner, Sei-Dai, meaning Majestic.

If you do not know why navy, you need to read the Kamikaze Course.

Thanks Nick. Having gone back for a remedial session on the Kamikaze Course, I see the "Dan"! Would the word be read nyuudan? And is that only used for enlisting in the Navy?
    Cheers,
    Tony

Yes, Nyu-dan as Navy recruits join the Kai-Hei-Dan. For the Army, the word is Nyu-Ei.
    However, in Japan, the conscription system was run solely by the army, so all conscripts were called up by the Army for physical checks and the the army would allocate men to the navy unless they volunteered for the navy direct. The Army required no education, but the navy required you to take an exam and they stressed the need for good eyesight. Navy service was also one year longer.

Great information, thanks Nick.
    Cheers,
    Tony