Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Good Luck Pouch

Article about: Finally Taking a break from the remodeling to play with my camera.I thought I would post a few pics of a nice Good Luck pouch I recently acquired from a good friend of mine.The pouch itself

Default Good Luck Pouch

Finally Taking a break from the remodeling to play with my camera.I thought I would post a few pics of a nice Good Luck pouch I recently acquired from a good friend of mine.The pouch itself is made from an elegant tapestry type of material and features a fearsome dragon writhing about the pouch.The pouch contains
    A paper "Ofuda" or good luck charm.Inside an envelope which bears a shrine seal, is a card featuring the deity Fudo-Myo-o It is said Fudo Myo-o has a fearsome appearance to be able to frighten people into accepting salvation.His frightful expression is to remind people of the demons waiting in hell should they not mend their evil ways.

Fudo is said to convert anger into compassion and cuts the ties of negativity and bad feelings and diverts the influence of demons to liberate us from suffering through the decipline of self-control.

His avowed duty is to bring forth the teachings of Dainichi–Nyorai, the central deity of Esoteric Buddhism to the world. He is also a combatant against evil with his compassion and immovable faith. Fudo is also revered as a guide for the deceased souls and is believed to oversee a funeral ceremony commonly held on the seventh day after passing.The characters are in Sanskrit and I am a disadvantage as to what they say, but it makes for an impressive charm.It is a small item but must have seemed quite powerful to its owner.Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Good Luck Pouch   Good Luck Pouch  

Good Luck Pouch   Good Luck Pouch  

Good Luck Pouch   Good Luck Pouch  

Good Luck Pouch  

Here is an Antique mask of Fudo...He has quite the grimace!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Good Luck Pouch  

MAP
    ?

That is a beautiful piece Geoff!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Of course I will defer to Nick and others who provide corrections to my attempt at translation. I just canot find that missing kanji on the top line... And the temple name is either Taisho-in or Daigo-in ....but I'm wagering on .

皇室覺*山城山
    Kōshitsu Kaku*Yamashiro-san
    Imperial Houshold Memorial * Mt. Yamashiro

除爆彈御守護心
    Jo Bakudan Omamori Go-Shin
    Amulet to Protect the Heart/Mind From Explosives
    I'm uncertain about my reading of the kanji ...

慰問子院
    Imon Taisho-in
    Comfort [from] Taisho [Prince] Temple

Found this online:
    太子院は石川県輪島市にある高野山真言宗の寺院です
    Taishoin is a temple of Koyasan Shingon sect in Wajima city, Ishikawa prefecture.

And speaking of Fudo Myo-O sama ... here's mine that I commissioned from a visiting temple carver in LA waaaaay back in 1984. Cost me a whopping $300 .... but that's because my fencing teacher was a friend of the carver and exerted some "influence" ... I think. When the carving (the figure alone is about 10"/25cm) was finished, the carver offered to refund my money ... he liked it that much! It is a copy of the one attributed to Miyamoto Musashi shown on the right.

--Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images Good Luck Pouch  Good Luck Pouch 

The reverse of the card:

精神總動員会
    Seishin Sōdōin-kai
    Spiritual/Mental Mobilization Committee

--Guy

Geoff-
    I have a soft spot for amulet pouches, and their contents; thank you for posting this example, and for your research on the deity. What kind of pattern is on the material on the inside of the pouch? I can't quite make it out.

Guy-
    Thank you for your translation on the ofuda; that really brings this small piece of paper to life. I like your statue as well; you got a deal!

MichaelB
    Last edited by MichaelB; 02-05-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Hello Mike,The interior appears to be a cotton material with a floral motif.I am not sure of the particular blossom/leaf design, and do not know if there is any significance to the design but it seems deliberately distinct,at least as far as the Large Blossom?? as to the leaves design,I cannot say.. Guy is as usual,An amazing and generous talent and always ready to help.I personally would like to submit his name for consideration as an honorary member of the forum.People like Nick and Guy freely lend their translation help and without them we would not have the depth of appreciation for these items that we are so enthralled with,and eager to learn about.I personally enjoy these items much more because of their kind efforts! Guy,be sure to let me know when you are ready to send me that statue!, I of course will pay for the shipping as well! Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Good Luck Pouch   Good Luck Pouch  

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    ...People like Nick and Guy freely lend their translation help and without them we would not have the depth of appreciation for these items that we are so enthralled with,and eager to learn about.I personally enjoy these items much more because of their kind efforts! Guy,be sure to let me know when you are ready to send me that statue!, I of course will pay for the shipping as well! Regards,Geoff
    m(_ _)m
    Bowing deeply; always glad to help when I can ... and try not to muddy the waters. As far as the interior material goes, it was probably just some material at hand; no special meaning. Not like they are Buddhist lotus flowers, etc.
    The exterior brocade of a dragon is nice, and it is over a background of Greek-style key-frets that terminates in a "manji" swastika which is, by coincidence, the symbol of Buddhist churches.

Key fret:

Nice try for my statue! (^_^)

Default Amulet Pouch

Thank you Geoff for your follow up on the material on the inside. It too is quite beautiful. I would second your suggestion: Nick and Guy add many insights that simply bring our items to life. We are lucky to have them here.

MichaelB