Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)

Article about: Hi all, Just purchased this nice silk (I believe) and was told it might have something to do with a kamikaze? It came with a small piece of paper where it looks like someone had gotten some

As usual, Guy comes through with an accurate translation. It has nothing to do with Kamikaze as they did not begin until 1944. This is a typical "going to war" flag
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

JMM
    ?

Welcome aboard Jean.
    This is a very serious forum with high quality members. Beeing a WWII student this is the place for you.
    See that you got your translation. As you see members are friendly and helpful

Hi Phil,
    Sorry for the slight delay in replying... just got a new laptop and I hate having to do through all the setup and getting it to look and act like it you want it too, lol. Actually my father passed in 1991 at 73. I was always proud to have a dad who was part of the Greatest Generation. I was his first born when he was 45 (he married later in life and my mom was 16 yrs younger than he was, hehe) in 1963. My brother was born in 1964 and it was funny when sometimes at church when we were little, his buddies might say something about his "grandkids" and he'd laugh and say "they are mine!" I will have to post more about him and pics, etc, when I introduce myself better later... is there a particular thread for newbies to do this? Thanks also for your service... when were you in the Marines?

Jean

Hi Ed... thanks for the welcome aboard! On my laptop tonight finally and nice to have a big screen!!

Quote by july4girl View Post
    I will have to post more about him and pics, etc, when I introduce myself better later... is there a particular thread for newbies to do this?
    Jean
    Hello Jean and welcome to the forum!
    Who is Talking/Post a Picture
    Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Guy! Thank you so very much!! Wow, is it unusual to have a Japanese Rear ADM sign one of these? Does it increase the value much versus other go to war flags that don't? About the kanji... Frankly I am confused as to the correct orientation of the flag. I'm not even sure if I have it laid right with the kanji at the top or of I took pics of what would be the correct front side as supposed to the back side that would reverse the writing. I think I took the pics of the side of the silk where the writing looked darkest. Well, if I have the north-south position right... Are you saying that the kanji at the top is the well wishing and the verticle kanji on the right is the date and name of the recipient? Lastly, is the vehicle kanji on the left the ADM's name? I will post some more pics that might be clearer. Really appreciate your time!!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150811_003327~2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	218.4 KB 
ID:	871531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150811_003912~3.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	189.4 KB 
ID:	871539  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150811_004401~2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	227.3 KB 
ID:	871540  

?

Just wondering ... if the flag dates to 1940, .... whether with more research, any of the names MIGHT be atrributed to the later attack on Pearl Harbour .... ???? ... If so, this would be a real gem of an item.

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Just wondering ... if the flag dates to 1940, .... whether with more research, any of the names MIGHT be atrributed to the later attack on Pearl Harbour .... ???? ... If so, this would be a real gem of an item.

Gary J.
    Hey Gary... Wouldn't that be cool, omg. Im not sure if I know how to work this thread right but will Guy see my updated post with better pics above? I hope perhaps he can make out the ADM's name better. I still also am not clear about this paper that came with it because the seller said it had a name of a squadron on it?

?

Hi Phil,
    ... when were you in the Marines?
    Jean
    79-86 and have been working for them as a contractor and Civil Service since then.

I'm sure Guy or Mr.Coleman will chime back in and see your other questions.

Semper Fi
    Phil

[1] Wow, is it unusual to have a Japanese Rear ADM sign one of these?
    [2] Does it increase the value much versus other go to war flags that don't? [3] About the kanji... [4] Are you saying that the kanji at the top is the well wishing and the [5] verticle kanji on the right is the date and name of the recipient? [6] Lastly, is the vehicle kanji on the left the ADM's name? I will post some more pics that might be clearer. Really appreciate your time!!
    Hello July!

1. Yes.
    2. Don't know, I'm not a collector. But definitely much better than a captain or colonel!
    3. You've laid out the kanji properly in your latest post. Written kanji often does not look like "news print" kanji.
    4. Yes. But on your flag it looks like this: 久長運武. The highlighted kanji means prayer(s), but is better translated as "wishes/wishing [you]..."
    5. Yes.
    6. The admiral's surname name is 吉田 Yoshida. His given name is too cursive for me to read -- we need a native speaker's help at this point. [edit] hmmmmmm ..... it might be Shin'ichi 信一.

Not all navy officers were line officers. An old friend's grandfather was a finance officer and served in finance positions on ship; eventually he rose to the rank of rear admiral and was selected for vice admiral ... until two factories under his administrative control were destroyed. But you can't find his name on most of the "Japanese Navy Admiral" lists.

--Guy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast