Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)

Article about: Hi all, Just purchased this nice silk (I believe) and was told it might have something to do with a kamikaze? It came with a small piece of paper where it looks like someone had gotten some

Default Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)

Hi all,
    Just purchased this nice silk flag , (I believe) and was told it might have something to do with a kamikaze? It came with a small piece of paper where it looks like someone had gotten some previous help and there are what appears to be maybe two peoples names and more importantly the name of a squadron?? Pics posted and really appreciate any help! Thanks, Jean in SSC (USA)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)   Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)  

Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)   Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)  

Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)   Greetings... New member here, need translation of kanji on a Japanese flag! :)  

PS... Sorry for the typos, and the sideways pic... Trying to figure out... Can u edit a post after you post it? Meant to say "silk flag"

Hi Jean..you should of joined on July 4th ............Bob Coleman is the Moderator on this forum...including quite many other experienced Gents on the Japanese Militaria topic. They will be able to help you out and give you the best information regarding this cloth item. Hang tight..someone will be along shortly. Kick off your sandals..and enjoy your stay. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

You should be able to edit a post up to about 10 mins..i think..not sure..but I edited it for you and added the flag to your sentence.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hey Larry! Thank you for the welcome... Actually my birthday is the 4th of July too I joined on this smart phone and it's not as easy I think to navigate versus a PC. I am switching over to my laptop shortly and standing by! I am the daughter of a WWII 11th ABN vet and look fwd to getting involved here... I am a big Civil War and WWII student!!

?

Hi Jean,
    Our Larry C is correct when he tells you that there are experts here that will be able to translate exactly what is written on your flag.
    Tell your father "THANK YOU" for his service to this Great Country.
    Keep in mind that this is an international site so be patience and you will get the answer you seek.
    Take care
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Welcome to the Forum Jean! I can't help with the OP but will echo what Phil and Larry have said. There are a lot of friendly and knowledgeable members who are always willing to help.

It may help on the smartphone to switch to "Full Site" at the bottom of the page if you're using the web browser. I find it easier to use.

MAP
    ?

Welcome Jean. Some real talented people will be around to help you out!

If you are a student of WW2 you will love this place.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by july4girl View Post
    I am a big Civil War and WWII student!!
    I have no doubt..that you will fit in very well here. There is always room for another teacher . Looking forward to any input , thoughts or research you may have studied..or any other items that can be used to further the hobby and fill in the missing pieces of this History`s Puzzle.

Best Larry

Your flag is signed by an Imperial Japanese Navy rear admiral Yoshida [not Yoshida Zengo]; his given name ends with either "~ichi" or "~kazu", depending on that first kanji in his given name that I cannot read. The characters are read from right to left, top to bottom. For convenience, I've written these in the modern Japanese standard of left to right.

Top Margin:
    祈武運長久
    Ki Buun chōkyū
    Prayers/Wishes for Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War

Upper Right Margin:
    昭和十五年三月
    Shōwa jū go-nen san-gatsu
    Shōwa15th Year, 3rd Month [March 1940]

小西勇美君
    Konishi Yūmi-kun
    Mr. Konishi Yūmi [the recipient of the flag]
    Note: This is my best guess at the given name. Family names are pretty much standardized .... but given names are often given different pronunciations, depending on what the name-giver had in mind. In this case, the given name translates to "Courageous, Beauty" and individually the two kanji can be read "Isamu/courage" and "Utsukushi/beautiful." I'm just taking a wild guess at Yūmi [you can see this alternately anglicized as Yuumi. The diacritical mark above the "u" [ū] indicates an extended vowel sound, not a "hard vowel" as we used to be taught in 1st grade.

Lower Left Margin:
    海軍少将吉田 ?一
    Navy Rear Admiral Yoshida ~kazu [or ~ichi]

--Guy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast