Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gunto Stamps Document

Article about: All, I've compiled a sword stamps document in .pdf format from all the sources I could find. Got tired of jumping around from books to various websites. I have permission from the owners of

Default Gunto Stamps Document

All,

I've compiled a sword stamps document in .pdf format from all the sources I could find. Got tired of jumping around from books to various websites. I have permission from the owners of copyrights for us to use their info for personal use. So if you'd like a copy, PM me with an email address and I'll send a copy. I should be able to upload on this site, but there is something wrong with the upload link right now.

You can see a copy I've posted on NMB: Gunto Stamps Document - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

Update; page 16 - "Kisusi" should be "Kikusui".

Updated version 1.4, including new information from Nick Komiya showing that the Dalian factory was supplying unfinished Mantetsu blades to the Tokyo 1st Arsenal, explaining the presence of the "W" stamp on them.

PM for copy or get one here: Gunto Stamps Document - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

Delete

Updated version 3.0, rearranged a bit for a more logical flow and includes many more actual examples.

Found here: Arsenal Stamps. - Page 13 - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board or PM with email address and I’ll send a copy.

Enjoy!

Stamps Doc 6.0 available. Includes large re-write of the initial discussion; many picture additions; new information about Type 95 stamps and the companies they represent; and new information on the stamped numbers often seen on nakago.

Found at the NMB link below, or PM me and I'll email you a copy (too large to upload).
    Arsenal Stamps. - Page 19 - Military Swords of Japan - Nihonto Message Board

Updated Stamps of the Japanese Sword, version 8.0 available.

I've had a few requests for a book version of this, so I've been revamping and rewriting. We've learned enough of the history to start writing our own version of the facts as known today, so the "History" portion is greatly re-done. I'm temped to revamp the "Star" discussion, but @mecox's translation of Ohmura's discussion has some interesting facts that we've still been unable to track down, so I've left that as-is to prompt future investigation. An "Intro" is added to include a minimal "Thanks". I wanted to add that but hate the fact that I'll miss a multitude of people that have contributed photos and discussion. So, if you see that I've missed you, please send me a PM and I'll add you to the next version.

Other updates: I added a page with the interesting discussion we had on the "5 Measures" stamp. Added various newly discovered kao, and other small edits.

I'll try a trial print at a local shop to see what it looks like in hand. I'm worried that some of the photos might come out too small, in book form, to be usable, which is why I like the digital format. You can zoom/enlarge the digital version. But I'll take a look and see how it comes out.

Enjoy!

If you cannot download it from the NMB link above, PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you.

Bruce, I do not know how relevant this is to your endeavor, but there is an interesting point in the 1924 weapons marking regulations.

Referring to swords for apprentice officers, swords using the base metal specified by regulations were to have a 4mm sized stamping of at the Seppa. It also says elsewhere that these swords were exempt from the requirement of serial numbers on the blade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gunto Stamps Document  

Quite interesting Nick. By the date, I must assume the blades it refers to are Type 32? If so, it would be a rare find, as I'm not aware of coming across one yet without a number. That would be cool to see!

Version 8.6 is now available.
    The update includes:

- Newly discovered "KI" stamp of the 2nd Factory, Kokura Army Arsenal

- Added variants of the Chrysanthemum, Kiku

- A new section to encompass Buddhist stamps; we recently discovered a hotstamp, thought to be that of Tadahiro, on a Kanetoshi blade also. It is likely a sword image tied to Buddhist symbology

- A section showing the discovery that the "diamond" stamp was, for now, solely used by Kuniyoshi and the "delta" stamp was used by Masayasu

- Several RJT blades are marked with prefecture-specific katakana/number. A map was added showing the locations of these prefectures and their kana

- 4 "unknown" koshirae stamps added

- A sections added showing the various "punch dots" on blades, still reason unknown

You can get a digital copy here: Sorry, you do not have permission for that!

I printed a couple of extra hard-copies. If you'd like one send a PM with email and/or address. Printing cost was $40, so price would be $40 + shipping.