Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A haunting Japanese prayer flag...

Article about: Sorry thats wrong advice re caring for textiles; its needs to be rolled in acid free tissue paper. Plastic will make it sweat. Glass will heat it and it will fade.

Default A haunting Japanese prayer flag...

I have decided to purchase this from an authority on Japanese flags. As such, it's authenticity is indisputable... he also priced it nicely for me.

I intend to use this flag as a teaching aid that will definitely shock and capture the attention of my students. I must admit that this flag has a certain haunting quality to it...

There are blood stains on this flag, so there is no doubt that it saw combat. You will notice darker colored splotches here and there on the flag. All of the characters were painted onto the field with brush and black ink. When the soldier was wounded/killed, his blood mixed with the ink in a few places and made it run. There is one small (3/4 inch) cut in the material inside the red center and perhaps 2-3 much smaller holes across the front.

For me... it's chilling... almost macabre that the blood of the soldier mixed with the ink of the well-wishes and words of encouragement and protection that his family/ loved ones wrote for which caused the ink to run...

What do you folks think?
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 09-12-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Default Re: A haunting Japanese prayer flag...

This was given into your hands so now there is a story to tell. This one lone flag has much to say,, as it has seen alot. Teach your students everything about it and the why what and where included Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks, Larry. I will most definitely do my best to do exactly as you say!

You know when your doing well teaching when their eyes get big as baseballs. Kids today can not comprehend what happened back then. My students that I teach as I am intrigued by the TR period,,I tried an old experiment of separation. Some kids wore Blue plain armbands and the some wore Red plain armbands. After they put their armbands on then i said..Red means you are superior and Blue means you are inferior. They were stunned to say the least and then the lesson began,, including some of my artifacts. I feel the use of these items for teaching is a necessity to make a point. The soft approach of liberalism doesnt want hurt anyones feelings,, and this narrow mindedness is destroying history. Fortunately there are some high schools that still teach this approach of going the extra mile to teach more!! You are fortunate !! Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

If only this flag could talk

Hi Joe, if you don't have a translation, I am sure several of the kind folks here will be able to help.

An excellent item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Larry C View Post
    You know when your doing well teaching when their eyes get big as baseballs. Kids today can not comprehend what happened back then. My students that I teach as I am intrigued by the TR period,,I tried an old experiment of separation. Some kids wore Blue plain armbands and the some wore Red plain armbands. After they put their armbands on then i said..Red means you are superior and Blue means you are inferior. They were stunned to say the least and then the lesson began,, including some of my artifacts. I feel the use of these items for teaching is a necessity to make a point. The soft approach of liberalism doesnt want hurt anyones feelings,, and this narrow mindedness is destroying history. Fortunately there are some high schools that still teach this approach of going the extra mile to teach more!! You are fortunate !! Larry
    Thanks Larry, you're absolutely right! To me, there is no better feeling in the world than teaching something to a student and knowing that they "get it"... as you said, "seeing their eyes get big as baseballs", which is so true! I try to use hands-on lessons and alternative teaching methods like group projects, debates, skits, etc. as often as possible!

Quote by gel65 View Post
    If only this flag could talk
    Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Joe, if you don't have a translation, I am sure several of the kind folks here will be able to help.

An excellent item.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks for the kind words Ade and gel! I really do wish it could talk... As I said, I contacted the gentleman because he is an authority on these types of flags, as well as the thousand stitch belts. In fact, he wrote a book on the subject... I asked him if he had any pointers on buying a flag, or if he could point me in the direction of someone selling a flag... I didn't want to seem too choosey, but I asked for a salty flag that would capture the attention of my students. He replied back with this flag... I must admit that I was shocked... I almost regretted asking him for a salty flag because this one just oozes emotion... if there is any one piece in my collection that is haunted, this flag would be it...

Ade, I will be getting the flag translated shortly. I also want to put together a diagram for my students to use... a drawing of the flag that shows exactly what it says in English.

?

Great looking flag, place it between two pieces of glass, or hard plast. It look very fragile after so many years with stained blood on it.

Quote by TrondK View Post
    Great looking flag, place it between two pieces of glass, or hard plast. It look very fragile after so many years with stained blood on it.
    I will definitely do that!

It looks like the blood stains match up as if the flag was folded one horizontally and once vertically into a smaller square shape.

I purchased this blood stained, authentic flag to replace this flag which was deemed to be a fake! Most probably something a rear echelon serviceman or a SeaBee created to trick a Marine or sailor out of an authentic battlefield souvenir or food/ cigarettes:

?

Hi Joe , a great piece of history you picked up
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast