Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Help with 2 Japanese Guntos

Article about: Hi. I'm looking at 2 WW2 Japanese Guntos. They appear to be original but I would like some feed back as to their authenticity and their identification. Thanks.

?

Default Help with 2 Japanese Guntos

Hi. I'm looking at 2 WW2 Japanese Guntos. They appear to be original but I would like some feed back as to their authenticity and their identification.
    Thanks. Help with 2 Japanese GuntosHelp with 2 Japanese GuntosHelp with 2 Japanese GuntosHelp with 2 Japanese GuntosHelp with 2 Japanese GuntosHelp with 2 Japanese Guntos
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with 2 Japanese Guntos  

They appear to be original from what is posted. However, we need to see the entire blade with handles removed. They have been off already as they do not have their original pins. Please post the tangs vertical with the cutting edge towards the top of the picture.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Moved to the Japanese Militaria Forum
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Sorry. I thought I was logged into the Japanese Militaria forum. Anyway. Thanks Bob. I tried to bid on these Guntos at an auction. But the bidding got too high for my blood.

?

Type 98, looks like some nice fittings, but same (ray skin) looks to be absent, making it one of those darned cheap Seki styles. Type 0, ito (cord hilt binding) looks to be in poor condition, possibly redone. The saya looks like it is one of the later ones?

Pretty rough all together, probably wise to let them go unless you can see if the blades are redeeming or price too good.

?

I think you "dodged a bullet" here. They both look like they could be "parts" gunto, as in assembled post war from the bits box. The Rinji (type 3) has had the binding damaged and redone, badly, and the tsuka looks to have a wobble. The type 98 has a Rinji tsuba put on it and so is definitely a mash up . In other words, both of them are projects rather than completed pieces.
    Nothing wrong with parts and project swords, they are all I can afford myself, just so long as vendor and buyer are aware and the price reflects that.