Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help to ID Large WW2 Japanese Navy Flag from Battle of Kwajalein

Article about: I finally received a comment from the Japanese Vexillogical Association post: Kazutaka Nishiura: IJN flags were adopted by the Imperial ordinance of naval flags (海軍Ą

?

Default Help to ID Large WW2 Japanese Navy Flag from Battle of Kwajalein

Hello Everyone,

I bought this flag from a friend of mine who's father got it when he was in the Army stationed in the Marshall Islands during the Battle of Kwajalein. It measures about 6'x7'(182cmx213cm). Machine sewn cotton. I have been trying to buy this flag from him for several years since he first showed it to me in 2007 and finally got it today. I have his letters written home from 1941-1945. Several letters are from Kwajalein during the entire year of 1944. There are many photos enclosed with the letters and I have a few photos of him standing with this same flag wearing a Japanese uniform. Some of the photos are very interesting, some show a group of all Black Airmen frolicing some native girls. I have tried to research this flag but could not find any like it. I am an antiques dealer and don't buy military items that much, any help would be appreciated.

I would like to find out what it was for exactly, maybe a Navy Base or Ship?
    Also, the value if possible. Thank you. Kozjan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flag21.JPG 
Views:	386 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	560966   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flag2.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	561019  

Last edited by Kozjan; 08-29-2013 at 01:10 AM.

"Navy"

海軍

Written in the old fashion from right to left: 軍海

--Guy

If we can't find out what this flag is, I'll send an email to the Japanese Vexillological Association -- I found whom to contact.

--Guy

?

Thanks Guy. I added one of the photos I mentioned. Kozjan

Hi Kozjan,

It's a pretty fair size, isn't it? I couldn't stand the suspense so posted my question on the JVA's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/j.vexillology [see "Recent Posts by Others" and look for my name, Guy Power.]

And please, don't anybody laugh at my Japanese grammar!!!!

--Guy

This is a puzzler. I did about a half hour of searching. The closest thing I could find are Naval code flags. Perhaps it was a flag that was not in maritime use - rather something to identify a building or depot on land as has been suggested. NH

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    This is a puzzler. I did about a half hour of searching. The closest thing I could find are Naval code flags. Perhaps it was a flag that was not in maritime use - rather something to identify a building or depot on land as has been suggested. NH
    Servus Neil .... [unser Spieß und "Mutti der Kompanie"]!

I did the same thing -- then went through all the flags on Flags of the World [Japan section]. Couldn't find anything similar.

--Guy

?

Yes it is a puzzler. I spent many hours over the past few years trying to find
    one like it. I kept a photo of it when my buddy first showed it to me in 07'. I
    saw the Naval code flags too that you mentioned.

Great flag ! - Sorry, I cannot help with a valuation. The photo appears
    to be cut from a contact sheet, but is clear enough to show that
    this is the same flag.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Response from the Japanese Vexillological Association:

見たことが無い旗です。調査してみます。

"It is a flag I've never seen before; am researching/investigating it."

--Guy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast