Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying this Japanese Flag please

Article about: Hi all i usually collect German items but im branching out into Japanese as well, i have found this flag and was wondering if anyone could help me to identify it weather it is real or fake a

Default Help identifying this Japanese Flag please

Hi all
    i usually collect German items but im branching out into Japanese as well, i have found this flag and was wondering if anyone could help me to identify it weather it is real or fake and what flag it is please thank you
    kind regards
    James

Help identifying  this Japanese Flag pleaseHelp identifying  this Japanese Flag pleaseHelp identifying  this Japanese Flag pleaseHelp identifying  this Japanese Flag pleaseHelp identifying  this Japanese Flag pleaseHelp identifying  this Japanese Flag please

I like it too - very nice. Someone will be on soon who
    will be able to read it.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I like the small inscriptions tucked neatly into the corners. It's like they were leaving room for many more to come and never finished? Maybe the war suddenly ended? Either way, it's a nice flag and it should, indeed, be interesting to see what it says!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

i have tried to contact the seller but am awaiting a answer, i like it to doesn't have any red flags to me but then again im only going of what pictures Ive seen and the construction of my TR flags, thanks for the input guys i really appreciate that you help out a fellow collector

Its a Yosegaki Hinomaru or 'Good Luck' flag. These were given to a soldier upon his departure for war and were, more often than not, signed by members of his family and work colleagues etc.

Its all a matter of personal taste, I suppose, but this one looks a bit too 'new' to me. Given that these were carried or worn into battle, a better example would be one which shows some distress.

They can be silk, rayon or cotton. This one looks like it has a sheen to it so may be an early rayon. The corners are leather but look too new. The disc looks like its printed but they are also sewn on. A Yosegaki Hinomaru is flown with the hoist end to the right hand side, by the way, so the Kanji pictured on this one are actually on the reverse side of it.

There are a lot of fakes around but good ones are not actually difficult to find. These were popular souvenirs for GIs in the Pacific and photos of Marines proudly displaying their 'trophies' abound. They were so popular, in fact, that many were 'manufactured' by enterprising Japanese after the war for the occupying US forces. If you are interested in these items, then this book is a must:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Jap...ood+Luck+Flags

Like I said, its all about personal taste, but I would pass on this one and find one with a more 'been there, done that' look about it.

Martin