Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help ID'ing this periscope, please.

Article about: Thanks in advance. I am trying to identify this periscope for a friend whose husband died. It is nestled inside a nifty metal can with a dried out gasket around the lid. The inside of the li

Default Help ID'ing this periscope, please.

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to identify this periscope for a friend whose husband died.

It is nestled inside a nifty metal can with a dried out gasket around the lid.

The inside of the lid is padded leather that is still supple and squishy.

Here it is with a Glock17 for scale.

And here it is with the prism extended.

With the hardwood handle unscrewed.

All I know is that her father brought it home from WW2 (a Marine who served in the Pacific) and gave it to her husband.

Thanks for taking a look!! I appreciate any help you can provide.

MAP
    ?

I think this is a Type 93 trench periscope. Made by a number of Japanese companies during the war. Yours is made by Nikko.

Hope this helps.

Nice piece! Looks minty! Would love to have one myself!

Are the optics clear?

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks Michael! The optics are clear and everything is in really nice shape.

MAP
    ?

Quote by M14sRock View Post
    Thanks Michael! The optics are clear and everything is in really nice shape.
    like .

Nice unique item

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Do you have any idea what these things typically sell for? I saw one on EBarf for $1,200, but I think the guy enjoyed smoking crack.

Are these $50 items? $200?

If not, don't sweat it.

MAP
    ?

Quote by M14sRock View Post
    Do you have any idea what these things typically sell for? I saw one on EBarf for $1,200, but I think the guy enjoyed smoking crack.

Are these $50 items? $200?

If not, don't sweat it.
    I saw that $1,200 one as well....smoking something. Value is what someone is willing to pay. Not a huge market for these like medals and helmets so it is difficult to put a hard $ amount. the few I have seen, have been in the $400 to $500 range?

Regards

Michael

Used for covert observation. Value from around $200 to $300.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BOUGAINVILLE View Post
    Used for covert observation. Value from around $200 to $300.
    Question. Is that in AUD and in Australia? I've seen them in the US for more (but that was dealer asking prices).

Thanks!

Michael

Quote by MAP View Post
    Question. Is that in AUD and in Australia? I've seen them in the US for more (but that was dealer asking prices).

Thanks!

Michael
    That is in USD$ and in the US. Monitor Feebay regularly. You will find all sorts of pricing as listing price mostly doesn't reflect its value but the whim of the seller. If you wait your chance one will come along at the right price. I waited for well over a year for mine. They do appear on Feebay from time to time and I definitely wouldn't consider them rare at all.

MAP
    ?

Quote by BOUGAINVILLE View Post
    That is in USD$ and in the US. Monitor Feebay regularly. You will find all sorts of pricing as listing price mostly doesn't reflect its value but the whim of the seller. If you wait your chance one will come along at the right price. I waited for well over a year for mine. They do appear on Feebay from time to time and I definitely wouldn't consider them rare at all.
    Thanks. I stay away from fleabay but for an item like this I think it serves its purpose as these are not faked. The prices I quoted were dealer levels which are high