Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Japanese characters & manufacturers

Article about: After consulting Nick Komiya's excellent thread on the Evolution of IJA canteens, I am looking for some assistance in hopefully identifying/translating some of the markings on three Model 30

Default Help with Japanese characters & manufacturers

After consulting Nick Komiya's excellent thread on the Evolution of IJA canteens, I am looking for some assistance in hopefully identifying/translating some of the markings on three Model 30/Type 99 canteens.

The first is a badly scorched and warped Model 30 with the concave side bulging outward from the pressure of the heated contents and distinct scorching in the pattern of the web carrier. I believe the marking on the bottom is Osaka Aluminum from what I have read on other threads.

Help with Japanese characters & manufacturers Help with Japanese characters & manufacturers

The second canteen appears to have had its manufacturers stamp defaced and has Japanese characters both painted and etched on the sides. Any possibility of translating either?

Help with Japanese characters & manufacturersHelp with Japanese characters & manufacturersHelp with Japanese characters & manufacturers

The third is the best piece and is in great condition complete with a B Model harness, "Sho 5 B type" strap. Unless I am mistaken? Again, any possibility of identifying the manufacturer's mark and translating the characters?

Help with Japanese characters & manufacturersHelp with Japanese characters & manufacturersHelp with Japanese characters & manufacturersHelp with Japanese characters & manufacturers

I am not familiar with maker marks so cannot comment on those.

1. 二六〇〇
    2600. This is the Foundation of Japan Year and equates to 1940.

2. 岡本分隊, 荒井
    Okamoto Butai (Okamoto Squad), Arai (surname).

3. 昭17, 大支, 昭十七, 前田
    Sho 17, Osaka Branch, Showa 17, Maeda (surname).
    昭 (Sho) is a contraction for 昭和 (Showa).
    大 is a contraction for 大阪 Osaka.

— Guy

There were many companies involved in producing aluminum utensils for the army. But I personally saw little point in tracking them all down by markings, so I never bothered to check them out systematically. However I will share with you here some examples of logos found on postwar kettles, etc which are also found on wartime items.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Japanese characters & manufacturers   Help with Japanese characters & manufacturers  

Attached Images Attached Images Help with Japanese characters & manufacturers 

Thank you both for the help!

In pursuit of the past.